Houston bayou Plecostomus

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
swoodruff
Location 1: Cypress, TX

Houston bayou Plecostomus

Post by swoodruff »

I thought maybe this deserved a seperate post. I have been observing several Plecotomus in a small tributary of White Oak Bayou in Cypress, TX (NW Houston area). I have captured & released a few only to get photo images of them. I have observed them feeding in schools (adults & juvinile) on concrete rip-rap as a group during daylight hours. I thought this as unusual since they are known to feed mostly @ night. I have several images of the Plecos & the nesting holes in my album. I will continue to observe these guys to see what we can learn of their habbits.

Image Whitey's hole

Image Whitey

Image Goliath
Last edited by swoodruff on 17 Jul 2006, 02:07, edited 5 times in total.
Woody
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

pics dont work
swoodruff

Image display link problem

Post by swoodruff »

Pics should work now, sorry. If they don't, just go to my album.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/albu ... er_id=6255
Woody
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It seems that the Pterygoplichthys in Texas have been identified as either or P. disjunctivus.
Last edited by Silurus on 26 Aug 2007, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
swoodruff

Post by swoodruff »

Thanks Silurus,

I have noticed that the larger ones are all dark coloration. The lighter colored Liposarcus ambrosettii all seem to be about 30% smaller than the darker colored plecostomus. Both have been observed feeding together with juvinile Liposarcus pardalis.

Is the feeding during bright daylight (direct sun) unusual?
Woody
MacAAA
Location 1: San Antonio, TX

Post by MacAAA »

Nice pics SWoodRuff!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

swoodruff wrote:I have noticed that the larger ones are all dark coloration. The lighter colored Liposarcus ambrosettii all seem to be about 30% smaller than the darker colored plecostomus. Both have been observed feeding together with juvinile Liposarcus pardalis.
Great pictures, these are excellent insights into how these fishes reproduce.

Males being darker and 30% larger than females is consistent with many other Loricariids, perhaps that's what you are seeing?

is the common hobby species, the others are pretty unlikely to end up in Texas.

Jools
swoodruff

Houston waters

Post by swoodruff »

There is one way that the commons can & have ended up in our waters. Unrespectful owners who release them into streams & bayous when they are tiered of caring for their ponds & also flooding (which we have had much of just 4-6 years ago, T.S. Allison, etc...) which could be how they come to be in our waters. Quite a few years ago, I saw a 20 inch koi in the same tributary just a week after a flood swimming into a drainage culvurt though I doubt he survived very long in these waters. There are lots of large snapping turtles & the more voratious alligator snapper that most probably made a few meals out of him. I have no doubt there could be more species of plecostomus than this one in there.
Woody

Return to “What is my catfish?”