S. decorus - natural habitat?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Ron
Location 1: Howell/Ann Arbor MI, USA

S. decorus - natural habitat?

Post by Ron »

What is the natural habitat of S. decorus composed of?

I see that in the cat-elog they are from the Congo basin, but more specifically, what would this include? Faster waters or slower waters? Rocks or fallen trees, or perhaps neither?

What other species are found in their home waters as well? Congo tetras, ect ... ?
Ron

Post by Ron »

I guess I'll just have to stick with using my fluorescent orange plants and skull caves for tank decorations. :twisted:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's a rapids-dwelling species. Other species that have been caught in similar habitats include Garra waterloti, Teleogramma brichardi, and Steatocranus casuaris
toddnbecka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cumberland, MD
Interests: Synodontis

Post by toddnbecka »

I guess I'll just have to stick with using my fluorescent orange plants and skull caves for tank decorations.
Ah, but you need a sunken submarine and some fluorescent castle ornaments to complete the setting. :!: You DO want them to feel like they're in their natural habitat. :lol:
It's fortunate for some fish that they're colorblind. :wink:
Ron

Post by Ron »

^ Indeed. I think that some tank decoration should be banned. :lol:

Thanks for the input Silurus. It now makes sense why they seem to tuck themselves so deep into the nooks and crannies of the rockwork in their tank. I've got a number of large rocks in there already and there is a good current, so I guess they are set.

The Steatocranus casuaris might make an interesting addition - I see them pass through the area from time to time. I'd just have to get past their ugly looks.

Return to “African Catfishes”