Talking corys?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
M68
Location 1: Northwest

Talking corys?

Post by M68 »

I know that some catfish can make noises, but can corydoras? If so, what do they sound like?

I'm asking this because I was woken up at 3 in the morning last night by this wierd croaking/grunting noise, and if it's not the fish, then I have to figure out what decided to take up residence in my room.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Corydoras do stridulate (make sounds), in the form of croaks and high pitched creaks.
mad scientist
Location 1: Singapore

Post by mad scientist »

Here's a reference for you:

Pruzsinszky, I. & F. Ladich (1998). Sound production and reproductive behaviour of the armored catfish Corydoras paleatus (Callichthyidae). Environ. Biol. Fishes, 53, 183 - 191.

Sound production during reproductive behaviour, dyadic encounters and distress situations was investigated in the callichthyid catfish Corydoras paleatus. Sounds were broad-band, pulsed, acoustic signals produced during abduction of the pectoral spines. Only males emitted trains of sounds during courting and trains of sounds of shorter duration during dyadic encounters. Several males, which are usually smaller than females, courted with one gravid female without obvious cooperation or competition between them. During spawning, one previously vocalizing male clasped the female's barbels with one pectoral spine and inseminated the eggs. The number of successful spawnings, days until spawning, and number of eggs laid was not related to the number of males (one, two or three) combined with one female. Males did not behave aggressively towards each other during courting or in dyadic encounters. In distress situations, when fish were hand held, both sexes and juveniles produced single sounds. The dominant frequency was negatively correlated with body size and the sound duration was positively correlated with relative length of pectoral spines (standardized to body length).
This acoustic behaviour in C. paleatus differs considerably from Hoplosternum thoracatum, a representative of the callichthyine subfamily, in which vocalization was observed during territorial behaviour in males and aggressive behaviour in both sexes. This is the first report of a major difference in vocalizing behaviour within one teleost family.
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

I did heard before sound coming out from my tank in dead night. Probably from this guy as it is swimming near the surface that time.

Is more like they are suckling on the water surface rather than talking which made all the noises. :roll:
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious
Sandtiger
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NY

Post by Sandtiger »

I have heard my panda corydoras make noise as well...I think all the catfish I have ever kept can actually make noise.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”