first breeding cage

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

first breeding cage

Post by perrush »

Hi,

I made my first breeding cage today. It's a flower pot with a 'tin' (??) / 'underlayer' (??) underneath.

The reason to use the underlayer is to remove anything in the cage easily without disturbing the surroundings.

Anyway, I think this should do.

The female inspected the cages within a few minutes, followed by the male ... but he wasn't let in. So for now the female is staying in the cage alone.

:shock: Perrush :shock:

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 271
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Can you tell us for what species have you made the breeding cave?

Regarding the waste that could possibly being trap, don't worry the fish will clean it on its own...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

Post by perrush »

yannfulliquet wrote:Can you tell us for what species have you made the breeding cave?
Just 'ordinairy' bristlenose. I want to learn how to raise fry, ect. Afterthat, L046 is on my menu :D

Later, I wondered if it wasn't better that I just glued 2 underlayers up side down to eachother. Should be better, more natural, I think.

Perrush
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 271
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well this way you can have an access to the inside of the cave really easy.
So when the young will be ready to leave the cave you will be able to remove them quite easily!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
thefishdaddy
Location 1: California

Post by thefishdaddy »

perrush,
You can just glue another piece of that under layer (the base of the breeding cave you made) facing each other, you dont have to cut an opening on the other piece coz bristlenose pleco likes tight spaces and small entrance, as long as the male and female can fit in the entrance it should be fine, another note of advice if you can place the hole on the upper peice or side of the cave, coz sometimes more than one female will breed with the male and they tend to squable inside the cave and dislodge some of the eggs, and when the eggs have hatched you can just shake and rinse the cave out a few times and your done, one exception is if the fry have fully absorbed there yolk sack they tend to cling on the side of the cave and take more time to shake out.........

Return to “Tank Talk”