What cories go best ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
UNTgolf
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Dallas,TX
Interests: Chemistry, corys

What cories go best ?

Post by UNTgolf »

I just cycled a new 40gal breeder and I am put goodeids in from mexico(either cresent or redtail). What cory would go best with goodeids and spawn in the same type of habitat?
Sean
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Which Cories would go best with the goodeids would depend on the water quality. Will the water have a higher pH and harder water? Or will the pH be neutral?
mummymonkey
I've donated: $47.26!
My articles: 2
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:8, p:104)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Blairgowrie (UK)
Location 2: Blairgowrie (UK)
Interests: Fish, Ornithology

Post by mummymonkey »

I've kept several species of goodeids including Xenotoca eiseni and I wouldn't keep any corys with them. They enjoy the taste of cory dorsal fin too much.
UNTgolf
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Dallas,TX
Interests: Chemistry, corys

Post by UNTgolf »

My water runs about 7.7(pH) and hardness runs the anywhere from 120 mg/L to 150 mg/L. This being because I live in Dallas around limestone and with rain and drought hardness and alk. can vary.
Sean
Jeff
Location 1: Quebec Canada

Post by Jeff »

I agree with mummymonkey. Goodieds will pester your cories to death. The two of them do not go together. I have both species of fish and they do not mix.

Jeff
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

I would probably put some "larger catfish in there if at all. I lost 2 amblydoras hancocki from them. The poor guys looked like they were mugged and then the muggers came back and did it again. I would make sure that the catfish are large enough to deal with them. In the past I have had some cats do ok. It really depends upon the type of Goodeids. The Santa Maria goodeids did ok with this set up:

Corydoras barburatus (bearded cory)(4)
Pimodella pictus (3)
Synodontis Eupterus (1)
Bristlenose (2)

As you can tell, the goodeids were used as dither fish :shock: because everyone else was Catfish! :D

Goodluck...

Scott
[/list]
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”