Need info on this pleco to decide to buy of not

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
GER1023
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: LA, California
Location 2: Los Angeles County, USA
Interests: Cichlids n Pleco's

Need info on this pleco to decide to buy of not

Post by GER1023 »

I want some info on this pleco I've never seen it before til now. Also if you can provide on another pleco its called and meror pleco its black with strips of white. Thanks alot for your time.

Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

That is what is called L77/L137. I think it gets quite large and produces copious amounts of sawdust if given the chance.

Rusty
Last edited by Rusty on 16 Apr 2003, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

I just went to a pleco site and checked the picks for the L num you gave me and I got this
these were from transitfish

L-77
L-137
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

why does planetcatfish have totally differant pics for these to then http://www.transfish.de/L1-25.html
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Did the plecos that they were calling meror plecos resemble these? (commonly sold as flash plecos, L204)

Trust Rusty to know the number of the Rusty pleco :lol:

Barbie
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

Yeah that looks like the emeror pleco. Do you know how big they get. Ive always seen them listed as emperor plecos never heard the name flash pleco before. Thanks rusty you were right that other sight was wrong.
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

yup thats them just checked planetcatfish log
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

are you talking about the ones on aquabid? :)
the price on the l204 is crazy high. i now several places that sell them at half that, even an lfs would be cheaper cause no $30 shipping charge.

emperor pleco are cool but absolulty need driftwood. the eat it and lots of it at that.
i hear 6-8 inches as a max size alot but have also heard bigger. they poop alot just like panaques. My 3 emperors recently decimated a piece of arfican sinking wood and they are only 2 inches big.
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

Yeah was talking about the ones on aquabid. lol. They dont look as stuning when bigger from the few pics ive seen already. I've been into the Emperor/Flash pleco's for a while but havent found any sites that sell them. I'm in the begging stage of planning to buy a 250-300gal aquarium. I want to fill it up with mostly pleco's I got several in mind already but would like some more.
BK

Post by BK »

i heard that if they grow to fast thier coloration breaks up but i saw a picture on a site (think it was japanese) of a 7 incher with solid stripes.

you could set up a tank for peruvian plecos. :) L204 and L90 come to mind off hand. now that would be an awesome tank.
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

I was talking about the rusty pleco not looking as nice when bigger. Saw the L-90 on this site and the only thing I really like is its tail. Plecos I have in mind are

1) 2 gibbiceps one normal and one albino
2) 2 Rhino one norm one albino
3) L-001 1 or 2 cant find any though
4) Mango Pleco's
5) Blue Phantom
6) Green Phantom
7) Common simply because I got one already
8) Emperor Pl*co

There might be more. Was or am planning on having a grip load (grip slang for alot) of driftwood and several fake plants and several heavy duty filters. I dont even know to be honest if they all get along. I know gibbiceps get territorial but figured if in a big enough tank with many other fish it would be to much of a threat. Any info is greatly welcomed.
BK

Post by BK »

Hi,

the bigger plecs (gibbies, common, rhino) will probably have a little skirmish over teritory once in a while, butthey may have more serious fights. my two commons at 12 inches each don't fight but they are the only fish remotely that big in their 120 gallon. i would definitly put in some flower pot or log caves for the bigger fish. as a substitute for a gibby i have heard L-51 looks like a gibby but stays smaller and are usualy around $10. L204 are reported to be very territorial when they get up in size.

i would probably skip the L128, L200, and L204, i just don't see them working well with the other fish but thats just my opinion. L204s make an awful mess with with driftwood waste so you have to gravel vac real good and they grow real slow. Asuming you had a large enough tank (and 300 might not be big enough, i am not the person to ask) I would reccomend you consider a bristlenose or two since larger plecs won't want to or won't be able to get into the crevises and eat the algae, and a hypostomus or two (there are some really nice looking ones: Hypostomus margaritifer, L37, 229) in place of the L200, L28, and L204.

i think it would be a good idea to start a thread about your new tank in "tank talk" you could get some good advice and ideas.

BK
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Just saw the post today. I have 1 blue eye rusty pleco, one brown eyed and another Hypostomus cochliodon...the two big ones are 17 cm and produce an enormous amount of waste mostly sawdust which cloggs up everything. And they absolutely eat all plants i tried to introduce with some exceptions. Concerning the color it doesnt change at all with age. Except that the finrays get more reddish. Very hardy fish, will eat anythign offered but can do well over a week just on wood. The brown eyed was in the tank before and its very territorial to the point it injures the blue eye. Ripped fins appear from time to time. Otherwise its my absolute favourite fish. :)
cheers
Christian
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

L-229 how big does it get also I need to mostly rely on Online store for pleco's since my LFS only carry commons and gibbicep's and on ocassion royal's mango's and other's which I dont remeber what they are. So if you could provide a site that sells the fish you suggested BK it would be very helpful.

Return to “What is my catfish?”