Novelty of the chatroom wearing off?

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Novelty of the chatroom wearing off?

Post by Silurus »

I see that the chatroom is hardly used nowadays. Seems that the novelty has worn off and a good time to question whether we really need one after all (I won't be that sorry to see it go).
Or it could be that we really have to fix times to meet in the chatroom.
I don't know. What do you think?
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Jools wanted to start scheculing "meetings" once he has roots down at his new house. Dunno when that'll be exactly, but should be in the near future.

Rusty
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

That was the plan, I am approaching some form of normality now but I won't be getting broadband access back for a fortnight or so. Anyone can schedule a get together in the chatroom - it's just a thing to have so that the sites user can use it should they wish.

Jools
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

That sounds like a good idea. I had thought of catching people at the chat room discussing some interesting topic but unfortunately I haven't. I saw Rusty there one time and he was the only one there.

I have to fix time frame with the rest of the Western world. As of this writing, it is exactly 9 pm here. I wonder how far I am time-wise with whoever will be moderating or facilitating the discussion during that time.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Almost 5 months down the road and the situation doesn't seem to have improved.
Maybe it's time to shut it down, chalk it up as a failed experiment and move on.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

IMO the only way to have a successfull chat is to schedual a chat time once a week, but that seems like it would be hard to do in such an international forum such as this.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

You'd be surprised the hours us cats keep.

Jools
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I do try to use the chat room but as people are pointing out not that many people are using it, so I and i'm sure many others have stopped going to have a look. I think this could be improved if we had a monitering section(like the one on the hope page) in the forum itself to tell members the activity of the chat room.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I agree with that one. I used to check the chat room every time I checked the forums for activity through the day, but I haven't done that in a few months. I only check a couple times a day. I would definitely log in if I saw there were other people logged in through the day.

Barbie
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I don't think it would be too hard to put a link to the chatroom in the forum link cluster and put (at the bottom of the posts) whos in the chatroom. To be honest though, I'm not all that fussed about chatroom use.

Jools
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

Hi all,
A fixed meeting time will definetely rebuild the chat room. At another fish site...the chat room was empty for months at a time. A 13 year old boy kept posting in the forum to meet him in there. The web master finally posted scheduled times...and the chat took off. The record is 23 chatters at one time...and now...about a year later...there's usually a few people in there, most of the day. I know I haven't run into anybody in this chat since I've been looking.
Scheduling times can provide some issues. Please... just give it a try. I'd hate to see a good chat room...fade away. Especially when the topic is CATFISH!!!
Rich
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

It is also very convenient. Andrew, Dave Snell, Barbie and I were able to "meet" in there the other night and hash out some Catfish Convention issues. Set meetings is probably a good idea and worth a try. It is also a good place to set a time and meet with friends or a group of individuals inteterested in the same topic. Perhaps, if a topic is really hot, someone could post a general "Let's all meet in the Chat Room on such and such a date and time and we can discuss this issue in real time."
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

Sounds like a good idea, it would be a great time to proclaim my love for hybrid species.

Perhaps we can hold a poll for a topic and then a day and try it out.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

How about the 28th December at 2300 GMT? Topic - what you want from Planet in 2004 and likely to degenerate into anything you want to talk about regarding catfish?

Jools
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

yeah almost everytime I go there_____nobody is there!!!!!
Thats really sad :( :cry:

Return to “All Resolved Issues”