My first baby panda!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
thelivelylady
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Jacksonville, FL
Location 2: Jacksonville, FL
Interests: I love to quilt, read and play with all my fish. And of course I am owned by a Japanese Bobtail cat who believes, and rightly so, that she is the Queen.

My first baby panda!

Post by thelivelylady »

:shock: Last Sunday night I saw what I thought were some panda eggs on the glass of my 20 long. It had nothing in it but Panda Corys. So I was pretty sure it was Cory and not snail because of the size. It was late and I had to work on Monday so I went on to bed. When I got home Monday night there were still 10 eggs that I could see. So I got out the 2.5 gal and put some of the Panda water in it and an air stone and was able to get 8 of the eggs out of the main tank. I put a couple drops of Melafix in the water and just hoped for the best.
So much of what I had read said it took about 3-5 days for them to hatch. I did find a couple of places that people said 7-10days. Well as day 5 rolled around I was pretty discouraged. My husband is getting ready to leave for 8 months on Tues morning so I had so much on my mind that I just kinda stoped watching them. I continued to change out 50% of the water daily but that was all.
Tonight being the 7th day I went and sat down to check on the eggs and of all things one of them moved a little. :!: I turned on the light and the little thing swam in circles. Iwas so surprised I just yelled "One of them hatched." Of course Hubby knew exactly what I meant and came to see what all the yelling was about. :wink: I am still just shocked. I just really did not have any hopes that they would hatch. I had one of the 8 that turned white and fungused and I had to get rid of it. The remaining 7 did turn tan and them got the dark spot in the middle several days ago. It just took "so long" that I was not prepared for seeing one move tonight.
I am so excited. I just hope the other ones hatch and that they will make it.
Thanks to all who have posted thier experience here on the sight. I have learned so much that I have been looking into expanding my cory family.
This is way to cool!! :D
Tracy
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Re: My first baby panda!

Post by andywoolloo »

wow! congratulations!! :thumbsup:
thelivelylady
Interests: I love to quilt, read and play with all my fish. And of course I am owned by a Japanese Bobtail cat who believes, and rightly so, that she is the Queen.

Post by thelivelylady »

Well this morning 5 more were hatched. As I sat watching them the last one came to be. It was so awsome to watch it just wiggle that little tail and go in circles. This is so wonderful. I just hope now they will make it to a long happy life.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Congratulations on your successful spawning. In response to your question regarding the length of time it takes for the eggs to hatch. I have found that the warmer the water the shorter the lengh of time. The average is 3-4 days. In the winter I spawned paleatus in the mid 60's it took almost 10 days for the eggs to hatch.

Mark
thelivelylady

Post by thelivelylady »

Well it is day 6 since the babies hatched and I still have all 7. So far so good. There are a couple that look pretty weak so I may loose them soon.
I did watch one of the females place an egg on some hornwort last night and I waited an hour before going to bed so I could get it and put it into the small tank with the fry. Hope it does ok. It is tan today.
I just love these little things.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”