How to refurbish this tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

How to refurbish this tank

Post by SirHelm »

Hi All. I have posted a pic of the tank that I may buy tommorrow. It is a 125gallon tank with Pine stand, light hood, biowheel 330, gravel, rocks all for 225.00 us

However I need to know if there is a way to remove or cover that very ugly fake grain wood finish on the tank. Has anyone removed it or covered it before? If so how did you do it.

YOU can see the pic here...

http://www.mickenator.com. Go to aquarium and click on the pics link.

If possible I would need some feedback asap as I want to try and get this by Sunday!

Much appreciate as usual from this great fourm!!

Sir Helm
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Well!

If the tank size is a common one, you might be able to buy another tank cover, other wise...
By the way in what material is this made, is it stick to some plastic stuff, wood , metal...
Give us a bit more info about how it is made and with what...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

I don't know how you would remove the finish w/o marring the look of the tank.

BTW, that filter won't be enough for a 125! Maybe two 330's if you have a light fish load. If you have a heavier one, you'll have to go with something bigger.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Hey SirHelm,

Are you going to use the tank for your <i>Hemibagrus</i>?

Heok Hee
Rusty
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

That should be enough space, right? :wink:
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

The tank is glass, with the faux wood finish on it. I was able to find out that you can buy caps to cover any trim. So down the road I will buy a matching hood and get the matching trim caps.

Hey Heok Hee, yeah I am going to put that little monster in there. However I am certain that I will be giving him away at some point. I really want to get a group of Hoplosternum Thoracatum like Smiling Syno has!! Probably get 4 of them, another common pleco (that would give me 2), of course my 2 Blocci's, 5 Danios, and maybe a small school of Cory's (don't know which ones yet).

However right now I would just put my 5 Danios, 2 Blocci's, The Asian Red Tail, and my common Pleco. I currently have a Penguin Bio 170. Coupled with that 330, and I will put a couple of Powerheads, and 2 250 Watt heaters, should be enough filtration, heat for now right??

Down the road I will pick up a canister filter, or a bio rocker when I have a greater fish load!

Thanks

Sir Helm
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

SH,
Another option would be to just buy some pine and make your own wood hood. Take a look at the nice wood hoods at a few local fish stores. Their design is incredibly simple and anyone with even a very basic knowledge of saws and hammers can make one in a few hours. A little sanding and a clear coat and it will match the stand. You can also then use it to cover shop lights and get much more light in the tank. I have made a couple of these and they work great. I made one for a 55 gasllon tank, mounted two shop lights in it (4 X 40 watts total) and had a beautiful high light plant tank for around $60.00 in materials.
-Shane

This tank used two shop lights. Total light fixture cost was under $30.00
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
smilingSyno
Location 1: Florida, USA
Interests: Synodontis, Corydoras, Hoplos, Plecos etc.

Post by smilingSyno »

*laughing* yes get many holpos!
125 gallons... what are the measurements? Our 150 is 6 feet long, 18 inches deep and 24 inches tall. In the picture it looks like the 125 might have the same foot print. If that's true go with a taller tank, it takes up the same room but you have more water. And with catfish you'll need all the water you can get. We thought about a smaller tank at first but then we just measured the room and got the biggest tank that could possibly fit there. And I'm glad we did, if we had gotten a smaller tank we would regret it now. 8)
The fish in the tank look like African cichlids. Ask the seller if the substrate is buffered for a higher ph and if so don't use it for your catfish tank.
Well, let us know if you decide to buy it or not.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

On the contrary, it might be better to get less water to the footprint. You get the same surface area (which is more important than more water) and less water, which makes it easier to filter. I think a 125 should be fine.

Rusty
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Okay... got a dilemna. I have 2 choices.

1) 100 Gallon tank with very nice cherry canopy and stand + everything... all filters, fish, rocks, etc.. It is currently a freshwater tank setup. 500.00 Firm. Tank setup is 4 years old

2) 125 Gallon tank with Pine stand, 330 Bio wheel, gravel, rocks, bad hood/light. 225.00

I have posted the 2 pics on http://www.mickenator.com - go to aquarium/pics

I am leaning towards the first one. I was pricing out filters/heaters/power heads/canopies/caps etc... and I honestly think that they are the same price.

What do you guys think??

SH
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The choice is yours, but I wouldn't keep the gravel in the 125 gallon if you go for it. Looks like marble chips. Definitely bad for your cats.

Heok Hee
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Cool! Thanks I wouldn't have even thought of that!! BTW I went to the LFS where I got the asian red tail and they will take him back. So I am going to send him back...

SH
smilingSyno
Location 1: Florida, USA
Interests: Synodontis, Corydoras, Hoplos, Plecos etc.

Post by smilingSyno »

Good, I'd hate to hear about your red tailed cat eating your hoplos one day! :wink:
Make sure to tell the store what he is so the next person who buys him knows what to expect.
Just from the pictures I would say the smaller tank looks better. I love the canopy and the rocks! Are those plants real or fake? You said you'd get the fish with the tank. What kind of fish are in there? Also does it have good lights and filters? 4 years... how old is the 125 gallon? Are they both glass?
Well if it was just about the looks the 100 gallon would get my vote. 8)
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Hi Smiling Syno!

The other tank was at least 5-6 years old. The person had bought used for 350.00 a year ago amd is glass.

The cherry wood one is very appealing, and he stated that everything comes with. The plants look real, and it looks like he has at least 1 or 2 powerfilters. I haven't talked to him yet on the specifics, but I would hope that he has some sort of canister or bio rocker filtration. The only fish I can see in the pic is one tetra... lol.. , everything looks real but I am going to check out in person as soon as he e-mails me back.. I think this would be a great tank for my plecos. The only draw back is that it is acrylic and not glass, so scratching would be an issue if i have a tone of Plecos.

I think 500.00 is a good price for a nice canopy and stand and a 100 acrylic tank/accessories. Just gotta add my fish and should be setup nice!

LOL

SH
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Yo...

So went and checked on that tank for 500.00. Tank is a bio reef acrylic tank, measuring (according to him)... 72 X 18 X 20 (lxwxh). Weird thing is that I run those numbers thru a gallon calculator and it comes out to be 93Gallons only. mmmmmmmmmmm

Tank is made by bioreef and is 4 years old.

Well to the nitty gritty. The tank looks in great shape. It comes with 2 Penguin Bio Filter 170's a Magnum 350 canister filter, a protein skimmer, a wetdry filter sytstem (with the little balls....), a brand new hood light with 2 ballasts running compact lights, a overflow box/prefilter.

Stand:

Pine hood and stand. He stained it using marine grade paint and varnish. Stand is okay.

Fish:

4 neon tetras
4 zebra tetras?
1 Clown Loach
1 Bala shark

Misc

100Ibs of river gravel (smaller than peagravel)
50 IBS of river rock
30 IBS of drift wood

I am thinking that this is a good deal.

Is it??

Thanks
SH

Return to “Tank Talk”