Which one to choose?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Which one to choose?

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
The tank which i bought a week ago has started cycling,so i think that its time to choose which pleco to order at my lfs.
I have in mind the Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus or Leporacanthicus galaxias/cf galaxias.I dont know which one to choose because i like both of them but i dont know a lot of things about both of them. :? Can you please help me to take my decission by answering my questions?Please?
The tank dimensions are:100-43-56
Can Glyptoperichthys be sexed?Is it easy to breed in a tank with this dimensions?How large will he grow?
Can Leporacanthicus be sexed?Is it easy to breed in a tank with this dimensions?Eat algae from the glass?Eat wood?How large will he grow?
Which of them do you think that suits better to my tank?
Sorry for asking so many questions about them but the informations which i found at the web are opposed to each other.

Thank you in advance.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

if you like them then go for them both! There both beautiful and UI think your tank is quite big to support the two of them.. just provide enough wood and hiding places.. And remember that the L001 grows quite fast! ;)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

I would do that if i didnt want to breed one of them.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

If you want to breed them, chose Leporacanthicus galaxias.
I think this one is easier to breed then Glyptoperichthys and it does'nt grow more then around 15-16 cm.
I have a friend that have breeding them and they give around 40 fry each time with a couple of mounth between the spawnings, the fry is very beautiful with big yellow spots.

Janne
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

Janne: Maybe you could be able to convince your friend to write some tips as to how these fish can be spawned? I have not seen any breeding reports regarding any Leporacanthicus.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

Konig, pic up the latest issue of tropical fish hobbyist, there's a breeding description from an israeli aquariast... and the little ones are darn cute.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Could you please tell how to set up my tank in order to breed them?
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

ok, will get it up later tonight, or, hopefully I can find a web address for you guys.
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I dont have the galaxia but I have joselimanus instead and I have get them to spawned once but the male was very nervous and he eat the fry on the third day after hatchin.
That was around 8 weeks ago and thay are now starting to breed again, they dont need so much current but they need low conductivity anyway mine does, my friends galaxia are breeding in ordinary tapwater and they do it in the same maner like mine.
The cave must have room for both but slightly wider then the female how is little bigger over the stomach, the problem with these species is to find a pair because they are not so easy to sex when they are small.
They need to be at least 12-13 cm before you can sex them for sure when the female gets more plumper if you feed them right wich is a balanced diet with both meaty foods and some vegetibles so they dont get problem with the stomach.

Janne
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thank you all for the replys.
But i want to ask you some more questions:
The current should be directed to the cave or not?Is a turnover of 1050 lph enough?What would be a good cave for sprawning?Sprawning cave dimentions?Can i sex them at 10cm?Would corydoras sp eat the eggs?

Hi S. Allen,
Which is this israel website?

Thanks in advance.
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

They dont need so much current so your pump is enoff, a light current on the bottom of the tank is ok you dont have to directed the current to the entrance of the cave.
As I told before, the cave must have enoff room for two and the entrance just slightly wider then the female.
If you feed them well you can notice that the female gets more rounded, if you have experience to see differences of the anal of fishes the females are more rounded like a O and the males are more pointed like a V with a very small tap in the middle.
And no one else can reach the eggs exept the male so dont be worry about other fishes.

Janne
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
The cave should be a clay made pipe with lateral entrance or it could be a piece of wood with plants closing its back entrance and living open its wide front entrance?
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

Mine use a clay pipe with one end closed, the entrance in front.
My friends use a cave made of clay but the entrance in the side of the cave.
The important is that bouth must have enoff space to fit in, and only one entrance so the female not can runaway from the male. This is important for the most of loricariid's when you want to try to breed them, the male must have the posibilty to block the way out and in of the cave.

Janne
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thank you all for the replys.You really helped me a lot. :wink:
When i make the cave i will post pictures to tell me if its suitable.

Thank a lot!
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Is there any diference between the Leporacanthicus galaxias and Leporacanthicus sp. L241(apart from the distribution and the smaller spots)?
Janne,
Could you please tell me the dimensions of the cave which your friend uses?
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

There are several species of galaxia, at least two different from Colombia/Venezuela and the one from Brasil.
They behavior is the same I suppose, it's important that you buy them from the same shipment so you are sure they are the same species.
You have to adapt/make the cave for your size of fish, put several of caves in the tank and you will see wich one they prefer after a while.
As I say before, both must fit in with the hole body's in the cave but the entrance shall be small enoff so the male can covered the entrence with his body.

Janne
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I am going to buy them from the same shipment.
Would Leporacanticus sprawn if i put a current of 2100lph at the botom of the tank or this is going to make them feel uncomfortable and not sprawn?I will post photos of my set up soon.
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

It depends how you do with the outlet from the pump, they dont require so much current.
If you make a new outlet to the pump and wider so the current can spread and not are so concentrate, my english is not the best but I hope you are understanding what I mean. Your tank is 100x43x56 and you can get problems when feeding them with to strong currents in a small tank so you must be sure there are calmer places for them to eat.

Janne
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
The one outlet is a power jet and the other a spray bar at the bottom of the tank.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Janne,do you have pictures of the vent of a male and of a female Leporacanthicus?If you have,could you please post them because i want to be sure that i have one pair and a female.Please?

Thanks in advance.
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

Sorry I dont have, my camera is not good enough to take closer picture of them.
Maybe I can borrow a better one, I will buy a new after the summer.

Janne
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

König Löwe wrote:Janne: Maybe you could be able to convince your friend to write some tips as to how these fish can be spawned? I have not seen any breeding reports regarding any Leporacanthicus.
The DATZ special 2 had an article on spawning L. heterodon and L. joselimai.

Jools
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

Last month's TFH has an Article on Spawning L. Galaxias. Essentially he stuffed the tank full of them, changed a ton of water daily, and they bred. I'll reread it and post the specifics when I get a chance, but for the most part it was pretty unspectacular.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Jools and Cartman,
Could you please post these articles because here in greece no FW aquarium magazine is availiable.

Thank you in advance
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Kostas,

I think that would be a bit of a copyright infringement, no? What I can do is give you the addresses of the publishers and you can order back issues. I'm sure they will deliver to Greece.

Jools
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi Jools,
I would appreciate it very much :wink:
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Try enquiring via:

DATZRed@t-online.de

info@tfh.com

Jools
mtchye
Location 1: Western Australia

L001

Post by mtchye »

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give a few more details on the l001 spawning. I have one, and it may be a female as the leading pectoral edge does not have much 'fur'.. I am not sure if glyptoperichtys can be sexed this way?

Mine is around 15-20cm.. around what size may they be spawned? What about foods/feeding / water temp/pH and other conditions..

Appreciate your help! :)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The DATZ article deals with breeding Leporacanthicus joselimai, not L001 (Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus).
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thanks a lot Jools :D :wink:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”