ancistrus with dolphin behaviour

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

Hi,
I've got a female ancistrus that's started surfacing for air and seems to have a habit of blowing airbubbles. Should I be worried or is this normal behaviour?

On another note, the same female seems to have recieved what I think is a stabwound from a striped raphael. How can I aid the healing process? I've heard a tip that salting the water with iodinefree salt will help. Is that any good?

Andy
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

add antibiotics.. add heater.. Ive only witness this with our shipment of L177.. They all seem to be going to the surface.. All I do is add heater for stable temp. and add some furazan gold and add desolved salt to the tank :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Andy
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

Thanks for answering,

The thing is that I've got a heater already and I seem to have some trouble getting the temp. under 25celsius. I've also added two tablespoons of salt. I guess it's just a matter of time now to see if things improve.

Andy
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

ugh... bristlenoses can be happy up to 30 celcius in my experience...
Andy

Post by Andy »

so what am I doing wrong? (that is, if I'm doing something wrong.)
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

it myght be ur water?
Andy

Post by Andy »

I kind of doubt it's the water, I checked that a couple of days ago and the nitrites were minimal. If it's not that, what else could it be? I'm going to check the water again tomorrow when I get the gear to do it just to be on the safe side.
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

It could be that your water needs some more oxygen. I've heard that in some cases when there isn't enough oxygen in the water, some plecs (and other fish too) will rise to the surface for additional air.
Caol_ila
My images: 51
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Adding antibiotics just as a precaution is really stupid as it will create resitent bacteria which cant be cured so it really hurts more than it does good if you dont have a clue....
cheers
Christian
Andy

Post by Andy »

I know about the resistant bacteria as I work fulltime as a nurse and have had to keep a close eye on that issue, it's the same deal for people as it is for the fishies. I've been using salt in the hopes that it'll strengthen the the fish. The ancistrus female is captured from the wild and I'd rather not lose her. I was hoping for some nicely patterned fry some time in the future.
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

not antibiotics.. sorry but water condtioner instead.. add aeration will also help :)
Caol_ila
My images: 51
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Im surprised that such a mistake came from you plecomaniac...good to have it cleared up.

I recall that my Ancistrus sp. only breathe air in severe cases of Nitrite in the Tank. And this can happen from day to day...
cheers
Christian
Andy

Post by Andy »

Sad to have to say this, she's dead. Maybe I'll get lucky and the LFS will get some more wild ones in the future.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”