L333 info

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
teddyman5
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Near Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Location 2: Near Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK

L333 info

Post by teddyman5 »

I have a trio of 333 that i just put into a 3ft tank with some cories.The info page for 333 states "Much more demanding of the aquarist if attempting to keep together with Corydoras or other ground-living fish".
Anybody expand on this for me?
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: L333 info

Post by Richard B »

Without knowing the actual answer, the obvious things that spring to mind are being out competed for food by the more active Cory's, or aggression to other bottow dwellers at night - let's see what some of the keepers have to say...
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Fantasticfins
I've donated: $80.00!
My images: 3
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Livonia,Mi
Interests: Spawning Hypancistrus

Post by Fantasticfins »

Adult L-333 have no trouble living with tank mates, but if they spawn, the fry survival rate will be lower if there are cory cats in the tank. The cory cats won't eat the Hypancistrus fry, but they will out compete them for food.

Dale
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

In the interests of full disclosure, I do happen to have a two Corydoras duplicareous in my 40 gal breeder tank set up with 7 L333. They have not interfered with my fry survival but it is only a coincidence that these 2 Corys were in the tank before the L333 began to spawn. I have not seen any harm done so I haven't bothered to remove the Corys. I have about 90 fry from several different broods coexisting with the Coydoras and adult L333. I guess I have left them in because the Hypancistrus scatter the earth worm stick particles and they help clean up the scraps.

I have a group of L333 breeders that dominate their tank. I probably would not keep any Corydoras if I were trying to breed a trio.
I find Cherry Shrimp are good tank mates in my Hypancistrus breeding tanks. They do no harm but are good scavengers.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”