Juvenile tiger shovelnose

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
El Gordo
Location 1: Vancouver Island, Canada

Juvenile tiger shovelnose

Post by El Gordo »

I recently purchased a 4" tiger shovelnose and presently he is the only fish in a 110 gallon tank. I lost an adult jardini arrowana a few weeks back, so I am just restocking the tank with juvenile agressive fish. I had a large tiger shovelnose that was approx. 20" long and he was very active, but this little guy is the opposite. I have only seen him eat bloodworms and I'm not sure how nocturnal this species is, but he is very docile during the day. Any food suggestions and is this behavior normal?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's probably still settling in, hence the reticence (catfishes are nocturnal after all). As for food, tiger shovelnoses are not too picky and meaty foods like sinking pellets should also be taken.
El Gordo

Juvenile Tiger Shovelnose

Post by El Gordo »

I have also noticed another peculiar activity that I am unsure whether it is normal with this Tiger Shovelnose. He will occasionally swim straight up parallel to the side glass for approx. 1/2 hour and then back to the bottom. Is this normal?
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

My two S.limas do this too,i dont think its anything to worry about.Thats the trouble with shovelnoses,there is so little information on them available that any behaviour slightly out of the ordinary and we instantly think someting is wrong with them.When one of mine started hanging vertical in the water with its head down i thought the worst but finally found that that is the fishes preffered hunting position.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Juvenile tiger shovelnose

Post by coelacanth »

El Gordo wrote:I recently purchased a 4" tiger shovelnose and presently he is the only fish in a 110 gallon tank.
What size aquarium do you eventually plan to get for this fish?
El Gordo

Tiger shovelnose

Post by El Gordo »

I plan on maintaining this fish in my 110 gallon tank.
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:12)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

i would say that there is missing a 1 or an 0 on the size of your tank, this fish is going to outgrow the 110g tank..

Malle
Soup is good food!
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

mallemalle wrote:i would say that there is missing a 1 or an 0 on the size of your tank, this fish is going to outgrow the 110g tank..
Yup, by a lo-o-o-n-g way. A fish that reaches over a metre in the wild should reach this size in captivity, if cared for correctly. So the aquarium should be somewhere around 4 metres long, by 1.5 m wide by 1.2 m high as a minimum to allow it any sort of swimming room.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Re: Juvenile Tiger Shovelnose

Post by Chrysichthys »

El Gordo wrote:I have also noticed another peculiar activity that I am unsure whether it is normal with this Tiger Shovelnose. He will occasionally swim straight up parallel to the side glass for approx. 1/2 hour and then back to the bottom. Is this normal?
My Sorubim lima does this. I have read that they hang vertically to conceal themself in reeds.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Chrysichthys
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

mallemalle wrote:i would say that there is missing a 1 or an 0 on the size of your tank, this fish is going to outgrow the 110g tank..
They grow very slowly, though. Not as impractical as the South American Red tail.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Caol_ila
My images: 51
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Slow growth just pushes the problem further down the road...what in 3 years? Hope its gonna die or throw it in a river?
cheers
Christian
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Caol_ila wrote:Slow growth just pushes the problem further down the road...what in 3 years? Hope its gonna die or throw it in a river?
Indeed! There is nowhere for TSNs to go whether they take 1 year or 3 years to reach a size where they pose a problem. Very few people have the will or the resources to create an enclosure that is measured in the thousands of gallons.
FatCat
Location 1: Kansas USA
Interests: Fish, Wildlife, Computers, Music

Post by FatCat »

sounds like a good time for a fish fry to me :P
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

And very good eating, too, from my experiences in Manaus.
El Gordo

Post by El Gordo »

Most of these replys are somewhat comical. I have had tiger shovelnoses for years with no ill effects. I agree that these fish do grow large but so do red tail cats, pangasius cats and I am not aware of too many people housing a minimum of 1000 gallon tank in their homes to care for these monsters.. I have had lima shovelnoses and I am aware that these fish swim vertical, but I have never noticed tigers doing this. It sounds like most people think that I should stock my 110 gallon tank with 2 guppies and an air powered treasure chest for decoration.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

I personally think that the eating idea is not too bad. The fish can be fairly humanely put down by quickly cutting the head off with a sharp knife. This is what I plan to do with my channel cats if they become too large for my pond and cannot find a wild home for them.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

well, there's a big difference between a foot long lima catfish and a 5 foot TSN... I've got a 90 gallon with 3 stingrays, and a tigrinus and I realize that's an unacceptable home for them at adult size, all are at about half their adult size and I am doing an indoor pond for them at the very soonest possible moment. Also planned for the pond are a juruense and a niger, but even these monsters only hit 3 feet, so an 8 or 10 foot wide pond is not out of the question.

TSN are one of the few fish I don't think should be available to the general public, redtails too.

I don't know of anyone on this board who's currently trying to keep either of the fish in anything other than a custom tank of great size 1000 gallons or so, or a pond. Most redtails are destined for stunted growth and early death... as are most TSN, firewood cats, and many others who have neither the pricetag or the rareness factor to protect them from those who can't properly house them.

I never will forget seeing a 2.5 foot red tail crashing around the LFS 180"Donation tank"... even at that size, he looked cramped a bit. Trey's a sucker to take those giants in.

PS... I've never been able to accept the thought of eating something I raised... I let others raise and kill my food. ;)
Caol_ila
My images: 51
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Ill leave that guppy/chest thing uncommented as we all know that isnt serious conversation.

What i noticed is that adult monsters always scare unaware people. Its a difference if you see a bunch of 30 cam balas shooting around a 150 cm tank or a nice shoal of babys. Or a 50 cm gibbiceps stuffed into a 500 litre tank.

2 days ago i prevented a guy at a poor lfs from buying a A.adonis for his 1 meter tank...he instead went home with a clown pleco and all were happy...

I also made the mistake to buy 2 limas and underestimate their growth...big one is around 27 cm now...luckily i found a buyer with a 1000 litre tank.
cheers
Christian
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

The trouble is that although a 110 gallon tank looks big once you have 3 foot catfish living in it it becomes a very small prison cell,while no one is suggesting you stock the tank with 2 guppies you should seriously think whether it is fair to keep a fish that can grow to four feet in a tank with a length of 5 feet long (or six but then it wont be wide enough either).The biggest shovel nose type catfish that can be catered for by the average hobbiest is the S.lima and even these require tanks of at least 100 gallons once full grown,the bigger species are only really suitable for public aquaria or those who can afford large indoor ponds.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

El Gordo wrote:Most of these replys are somewhat comical. I have had tiger shovelnoses for years with no ill effects
Define ill effects. To you or to the fish? If the fish failed to live for it's potential 20-year+ lifespan, or grow to the expected adult size in excess of a metre, then I would find it hard to say that there were no ill effects. Fish in captivity should have the ability to express normal behavioural patterns to as great a degree as possible, and to reach their full growth and lifespan potential. These are elements of basic guidelines set down by the zoo community, which have been developed through a lot of discussion and consideration undertaken by many knowledgable people. If anyone thinks they know better then I'd be delighted to look at the research and references used to come to this conclusion.
I agree that these fish do grow large but so do red tail cats, pangasius cats and I am not aware of too many people housing a minimum of 1000 gallon tank in their homes to care for these monsters
And how many of these reach their full potential?
I have lost count of the number of times I have advised people who contact me not to buy a catfish that will outgrow their resources and abilities, and then 9 months down the line get back in touch with me hoping I can help them with a problem of their own making. I think many of these would have been better off with a trophy in a case rather than a living organism that deserves ethical consideration, as there is obviously no desire to enjoy the fish for what it actually is.
It sounds like most people think that I should stock my 110 gallon tank with 2 guppies and an air powered treasure chest for decoration.
No, but the reason people keep Catfish is because of their unique appearance and behaviour when compared to other aquarium fish. If a fish has no opportunity to show this behaviour, or demonstrate why it has the appearance that so fascinates us, then what's the point?
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Actually, I got the impression that they think you should responsibly care for the fish that you purchased, but that was just my take on it. I've never understood the mentality that makes people justify keeping fish in a glass box they can't even turn around comfortably in, and I guess this thread isn't going to help me, at this rate.

Barbie
aquaholic
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Juvenile TSN

Post by aquaholic »

El Gordo,
They are quite nocturnal at this size and during the day will usually hole up under a ceramic half pot or driftwood, hardly moving during the day (or when lights are on). At night they are extremely active and voracous hunters, finding even surface hugging guppies, live black worms hiding under stones, frozen bloodworm etc. Don't put in too much food as I don't think they will know when to stop eating.

Unusual signs would be constant mid water swimming during the day or head down-tail up off the ground shimmying on the spot. It's a clear indication something is wrong or one is getting sick should you see this happen. Watch out for any fungal/bacterial infections since they can really throw themselves about and bruise/damage themselves internally too.

Food is not that critical. They will readily eat frozen bloodworm, small pieces of fish fillet, live worms, live small fish and even shrimp pellets. Try to get a small stomach bulge in each fish with a one day fast per week.
00 MooRRii 00
Location 1: Australia

hmmm

Post by 00 MooRRii 00 »

Where to begin...

First i'd like to ask you a simple question, why? why are you practically torturing this fish to death? why do you think its acceptable? Sorry to sound like a nag but this really does irritate me. I really don't understand your mentality, so if other people do it it's ok for you to do it? is that what you are saying?

I have my TSN in a 8x3 with a few other large catfish, ad the TSN is 32", and beleive it or not this fish is less than 2years old. My TSN looks kinda cramped in a 8x3 which is FAR bigger then a 110! What are you doing if you dont have the space dont buy the fish its simple.

How about i lock you in a closet and feed you some low quality fish food, would you like that? :twisted:
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I have a slightly different take on the issue of keeping a big fish in a small tank. Yes, of course it's abuse, no question about that.

But big fw fish all over the world are severely threatened by habitat loss and other forms of human pressure. These threats derive in large part from the fact that local communities see little economic value in these fish.

Now if we could get those proverbial "hormonally challenged young adults" to shell out big bucks for the privilege of ritually torturing select specimens of large fish species, and if we could then translate these big bucks at retail into a few more bucks to the local collector, this could conceivably motivate local communities to better husband a valuable resource and thus make a small contribution to species conservation.

Dinyar
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

;)

"We could put her up in a cheap hotel room, charge the cops $50 a head to beat her into submission... Hell, she's strong, she'll hold her own... It's straight economics."- HST's Fear and Loathing... semi-edied for content and pertinent material.

;) my theory on this came up in the thread where someone in Oz was going to pay $600 for a shovelnose. No one pays that kind of $ for a fish they're gonna abuse, or if they do... either too rich to think or totally nuts. Even in the states larger fish ought to come with a larger price. This is, in my case the way things are, I have expensive tastes. But, there are the $5 red tailed cats, oscars, and tiger shovelnoses, the $1.99 tinfoil barbs... TF barbs and oscars can fairly easily be accomodated, but... how many do you think really are?

Sil, you remember thos pics from the fish market in manaus you took? you happen to ask a price on those B. juruense? my guess is like cheap for a 2 foot plus specimen, just without a head and innards... I'd have paid 10 times that for one that size... alive of course. Those of us who keep food fishes would probably turn green at the price they go for when they're destined for a pot of soup or a skillet.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Sil, you remember thos pics from the fish market in manaus you took? you happen to ask a price on those B. juruense?
While I never did ask about the prices of the fish I saw in Manaus, I did purchase some good-sized Hemibagrus wyckii in markets in Sumatra and Borneo for something like 8000 rupiah (about 95 cents US) per fish (even at that price, I was probably getting fleeced by the fishmonger, since I did not bother to bargain hard). Well, considering that specimens of about the same size here go for about $100, you can do the math.
crookedantler
Interests: hunting,fishing and pets

Tiger Shovelnose

Post by crookedantler »

I have a juvinile TSN and he loves to eat feeder guppies and bloodworms.I had one for years and he grew to about 30" and lived just fine in a 265 gal. tank with a large Clown Knife and a Black Arowanna.I would probably still have him had he not leaped out of the tank.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Re: Tiger Shovelnose

Post by mokmu »

crookedantler wrote:I have a juvinile TSN and he loves to eat feeder guppies and bloodworms.I had one for years and he grew to about 30" and lived just fine in a 265 gal. tank with a large Clown Knife and a Black Arowanna.I would probably still have him had he not leaped out of the tank.
Even at that size a tank, your TSN probably found it too small and too cramped for comfort. Your TSN probably decided to do a harakiri. No fish just leaps out of the tank for the fun of it. Something must be wrong or must have spooked it. People just don't get it.
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Re: Tiger Shovelnose

Post by PeacockBass »

People just don't get it.
I agree. I think my 2000 gallon indoor pond is still a little small for a full grown adult TSN.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Dinyar wrote:Now if we could get those proverbial "hormonally challenged young adults" to shell out big bucks for the privilege of ritually torturing select specimens of large fish species, and if we could then translate these big bucks at retail into a few more bucks to the local collector, this could conceivably motivate local communities to better husband a valuable resource and thus make a small contribution to species conservation.
Trouble is I think that many of these youngsters are now farm bred, in some cases I'm pretty sure what we get are just surplus fingerlings from foodfish aquaculture, so this could result in the opposite of the desired effect by enouraging further aquaculture in sensitive areas.
There are plenty enough small aquarium-suitable species whereby if we in the affluent world stopped complaining about a £ or $ here or there more, this could result in greater return to the collectors and more progress towards sustainability, without the potential negative publicity that abandoned or mistreated big fish could attract to the aquarium hobby.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”