Pterocryptis Sp Feeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Pterocryptis Sp Feeding

Post by Shovelnose »

Does anyone have any experience with this genus??? Are they brats like other hillstream cats or can they be gradually shifted to processed food???
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pterocryptis Sp Feeding

Post by Silurus »

I have a couple of at the moment. They seem to eat anything, including smaller fishes that I thought might be too large for them to eat. Didn't think they'd be this predatory.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Good thing I asked. He looked docile enough to be kept with some other hill stream cats but changed my mind at the last moment. Giving him only FBS and blood worms now. Will try Tetra Bits and some sinking carnivore pellets soon.

What fish did they finish off HH???? There a few Botias and a G.giuris that are around 4 inches TL with him at the moment. The Pterocryptis is around 7 inches TL
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Slightly off-topic, but I have two in a 29 gal tank with Trigonostigma heteromorpha and hengeli, Hyalobagrus flavus and Betta coccina. I'd hoped that they would be "a peaceful, schooling species that is compatible with most fish," as the Catelog describes Silurichthys indragiriensis, but I strongly suspect that this is not the case. Something is slowly predating and biting pieces off the fins of the Trigonostigma, and it could only be the Silurichthys.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Quite ironically, the Pterocryptis was beaten up by an Ompok malabaricus posted here : http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =9&t=29275. The Ompok kept lunging at the Pterocryptis and I noticed a few evident bites . I dont think he could ve possibly swallowed the Pterocryptis but just as a safety measure,the Ompok has been temporaily given away.
Balaji

Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Shovelnose wrote:What fish did they finish off HH????
A couple Pseudolaguvia, a school of about ten unidentified Hyphessobrycon (somewhat similar to H. elachys), and a Copella nattereri. They are ignoring the other fish in the tank (large Akysis prashadi, Acrochordonichthys and Bunocephalus cf. quadriratiatus) only because they are too large to be swallowed. One suspects that the Acrochordonichthys might be the culprit instead, but prior to the introduction ofthe Pterocryptis, I have never had small fishes disappearing overnight.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Dinyar wrote:Slightly off-topic, but I have two in a 29 gal tank with Trigonostigma heteromorpha and hengeli, Hyalobagrus flavus and Betta coccina. I'd hoped that they would be "a peaceful, schooling species that is compatible with most fish," as the Catelog describes Silurichthys indragiriensis, but I strongly suspect that this is not the case. Something is slowly predating and biting pieces off the fins of the Trigonostigma, and it could only be the Silurichthys.
That's strange, I have kept Silurichthys with other smaller fishes before and never had a problem like you describe.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

The only more comfortable space I have for him is a tank with Amblyceps and Glyptothorax and that sounds like a no no now. The current tank he is in is not as 'cold' as the other ones I have.
Balaji

Return to “Asian Catfishes”