Sick Sultans

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
prairiefire
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Chestermere Lake Alberta

Sick Sultans

Post by prairiefire »

I have 8 L264's (Sultans) That I have been keeping for about 3-4 months. Two of them have developed a white film on their skin that seems to be getting worse. They are eating well and seem ok otherwise. Any recommendations for treatment would be appreciated.
The other six seem to be free of the white patches
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: Sick Sultans

Post by Barbie »

It's very hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm not sure the white spots aren't actually marks from squabbling. There is some fin damage here and there, and that would be another sign. I've had my plecos actually suck the pigmented portions off each other when they are trying to assert dominance and figure out their social structuring. Keep an eye on them. Maybe redecorate a bit and give them a few more hiding spots.

Barbie
prairiefire
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Chestermere Lake Alberta

Post by prairiefire »

Thanks Barbie, I was thinking the white marks were the result of squabbling also as the tank they are in is a bit small for them but it seems the white glaze has spread over the eyes of one of them so I think some kind of medication might be necessary. I will remove the 2 L48's that they seem to have confrontations with mostly.
Cristoffer Forssander
I've donated: $10.00!
My images: 76
My cats species list: 42 (i:2, k:0)
My BLogs: 22 (i:25, p:933)
Spotted: 25
Location 1: Sweden, Karlstad
Location 2: SWEDEN
Interests: Plecos, South american C***L and so on...

Post by Cristoffer Forssander »

Agree with Barbie... is looks like vampire fighting... they can go quite hard on each other sometimes....

Cristoffer
Guardians Of Catfish

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”