Bloodworms apparently float (return of the newbie)

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Tiffin, Ohio USA
Location 2: Tiffin, Ohio USA

Bloodworms apparently float (return of the newbie)

Post by 000 »

Hello again.
Well I was looking into what to feed my catfish (figuring they would like something in addition to or instead of tropical flakes since one is a carnivore and the other is an omnivore) (Pictus and Colombian Shark) and read that for the Pictus bloodworms "induce a feeding frenzy" and Colombian Sharks "can be brought on very successfully on frozen bloodworm." I went out and bought bloodworms and fed them to my fish. Since the bloodworms are floating, the fish do not appear to have touched them (they never eat off of the water surface). I saw the Pictus eat at least one that the water from my filter managed to push down to the bottom of the tank. I'm just looking for any advice because I don't want the bloodworms to just be polluting the water and I want the fish (esp. the Pictus) to eat something other than flakes (and I don't want my money to have been wasted). I also want to be able to put some flakes in that hungry fish won't gobble up so that my fiddler crab won't starve (the tank isn't dirty enough for him to have much to eat). Thanks!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bloodworms apparently float (return of the newbie)

Post by Silurus »

Were the bloodworms live or frozen? Live bloodworms should sink (chironomid larvae normally live on the substrate), and frozen bloodworms float only if they are either of poor quality, or have been left open inside the freezer for too long.

Post by 000 »

That was quick! They are freeze dried but not refridgerated,just sitting on the shelf at the store. Brand is Tetra. Note to self: Don't get any more bloodworms from Walmart. Was I right in getting the bloodworms or should I buy another food that is better for them? And if bloodworms are best, live or frozen?
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

The information on feeding bloodworms applies to frozen or live, and not freeze dried. Frozen and live bloodworms will sink.

As to whether frozen or live are best, the fish will certainly prefer live, but this isn't very practical day-to-day and you can introduce diseases with live foods.

Quality frozen blister packs are convenient and very good for everyday feeding.

Defrost them in a some tapwater, give them a swirl after 5 mins, then pour away the floaters and most of the manky water. Add a bit more fresh water and pour into the tank.

:D

Post by 000 »

Thanks. I assume i should just pitch the freeze dried worms? And will any local fish store (not Walmart) have these blister packs or should i find someplace online to order them? And i guess is there anything i should know about what kind to get or avoid or if they come in different sized worms what size should i get? and is there an average cost for them?
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Thanks. I assume i should just pitch the freeze dried worms?
Yes, if your fish aren't eating them! Maybe you could pre-soak them and they might sink? Alternatively you could give/sell them to a friend who keeps danios or barbs for instance, as they will definitely eat them.
And will any local fish store (not Walmart) have these blister packs or should i find someplace online to order them? And i guess is there anything i should know about what kind to get or avoid or if they come in different sized worms what size should i get? and is there an average cost for them?
No idea what's available in the States. Hopefully one of the U.S. members can recommend a brand.

:D

Post by 000 »

Merci! Just thought I'd share that the fish just found the floating worms and ate a couple, but the majority are just sitting there. I also want to comment on how quickly i receive amazing help on this website!!! Thankyou tout le monde!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I looked at the map of Tiffin, Ohio, and whilst your town itself may not have a good LFS (Local Fish Shop), I'm sure one of the larger towns nearby would. Unfortunately, of all fish shops, not all are good, and far fewer are great or excellent. Finding one that is great will require visits to several of your nearer shops. Most of my fish come from a shops that are more than 50 miles from my house - yes, I've been at keeping catfish for several years now, and it's obviously a bit harder to find interesting species. For my day-to-day food and supplies needs, I have a local shop a few miles away.

--
Mats
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

IIRC, you should be able to get Hikari frozen bloodworms (not necessarily in the cubed form) in the larger chain stores (failing which there should at least be San Francisco Bay frozen bloodworms available).
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

all the private and chain fish / pet stores have the SF Bay Brand and Hikari in the freezer by the fish dept. Well, here in Calif at least and I am thinking Petco and Petsmart are everywhere.

I live 20 mins one way from the fish stores so I take a cooler full of ice with me. You do not want to let them defrost and refreeze them, better to chuck them in the garbage.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

No matter what brand of frozen blood worms you use there are always a few shells which are going to float. These were probably dead individuals present at the time of freezing. It wouldn't hurt to keep a few surface to mid-water species of Characins to quickly pick off these floaters. Your 2 species of catfish are not comfortable at feeding from the surface.
If I remembered correctly you presently keep your fish in only a 14 gal tank and that is too small for your catfish let alone adding some different tank mates. So I don't know how you are going to resolve this because changing brands of blood worms, even if they are of the freshest quality that is available will not eliminate some exoskeletons which float.
I think Hikari is a fine brand but what I find is most important is whether or not the food you buy has never been thawed and refrozen. Any brand is subject to that possibility. I do not use Hikari or SF Brand because they are over priced. I buy 50 pounds of frozen Blood worms every 6 months and they are as good as the better known brands but are cheaper. Each packet is 4 oz and is in a tray which allows breaking off squares(not cubes) as needed. I keep expensive fish and would never feed them an inferior product but I always have a few frozen blood worm exoskeletons which float. Discus will eat the floaters but Tetras do a better job. As I said, these were dead worms at the time they were flash frozen and are present in all brands. It helps to have some species which will eat foods from the surface so these floating exoskeletons are not digested by the filters.
I think you need a larger tank and a few utilitarian Tetras or some Angelfish; anything comfortable with surface feeding.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Ozcattie
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
Location 2: Sydney

Post by Ozcattie »

Luckily I can get live worms locally & my cats LOVE them. They graze through the gravel for them :)
But I have bought the Freeze dried ones you are talking about & they are really difficult to use.
I find I have to pre-soak them in BOILING water at least 3-4 times. This washes half the blood out & it stops it fowling your water, but I wonder how beneficial it is after bleaching like that??
Go frozen :?

Post by 000 »

I just fed em frozen bloodworms and i know that the pictus ate some (and now is looking plump) and i'm assuming that the colombian shark did too. Oh, and as a side note, i did see the colombian shark eat some flakes off of the water's surface a few days ago and i think he ate the few freeze dried worms that i hadn't removed from the tank. But i don't think the freeze dried ones can be the best for them, they are small and gray and just look like all the nutrition has been sucked from them. I'm much happier feeding them frozen ones that are nice an red.

Return to “Speak Easy”