Tigrinnus Move

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Tigrinnus Move

Post by Redtailrob »

After the recent disasters @ Xmas several of my large Cats including my Tig had to be moved into Temporary accomadation i.e. a couple of 4' x 3' x 2.5 Ponds.
However Im not happy with them being in these so wish to move my Tig + others into one of my larger Ponds (450G)
Very worried about this move as when i moved him about 18 months ago to the 8foot tank, the dam thing played dead on my for 20 minutes and scared the life out of me!!
Plan over the coarse of a couple of hours of mixing ALL the water from his current Pond with the Pond he's going into to limit the stress as much as possible, turning all the lights off etc.
Anyone here got any experience of moving Big Tigs, he's 16" + approx
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Tigrinnus Move

Post by Richard B »

The only experience i have is when we received one from a wholesaler (back in the trade days). I have to say it went fine, into a (temporary) 6x3x3 and was a 2 foot plus fish. It needed nothing out of the ordinary to acclimatise it.

In your case would it be possible to use a large quantity of the water it is in now to contribute to the fill of the new home. This enables the water conditions to be as close as possible & negate stress of the move.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

I wouldn't make it completely dark IMO these are not nocturnal fish.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
taksan
My images: 3
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

Post by taksan »

I recently moved my biggest tig (28") to a new 500g and it WAS ...very stressful for ME

I first had the new tank completely set up with 70% of the water of his old tank and then just put him in using one swift motion.
I then filled up the new tank as I would on a normal water change.
Apart from a few frayed fins and a weeks hunger strike he came through it ok ....better then me.
I thought I was going to have a stroke I was so worried.
Redtailrob
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Thanks Taksan & Richard B.

I know exactly what you mean, Im terrified.
The fish currently in the Pond will be coming out & going into a new larger Pond or split between two smaller ones -haven't decided yet.
The Tig along with a few other bits & Bobs will then be moving into the bigger Pond.
Was worried however about transfering ALL the water from his existing Pond into the new pond because of any chemical/physical differences between the two.
Will do a full water parameter check of the two and mix the two ponds over the coarse of a few hours maybe before transfering the fish.
Have to bear in mind the inhabitants of the Big Pond getting moved out as well, otherwise I would do exactly how you have done Taksan.
gmoney78
Location 2: new york

Post by gmoney78 »

hello, i recently moved my 20" to a new home and the same happeneed to me. catfish even though are calm fish, the level of stress can really affect them. a lot has to do with change of ph and temperature. they will play dead or just sit at the bottom of the tank to adjust to it. once u do it have a sump pump under water pushing water near the bottom so once they lay down, water can go through their gills naturally. also some stress coat to relaz them a little in the transition. good luck :YMPEACE:
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Interesting info and I love seeing so much consistency, which means the (scary) trend is general.

My tig is still ~10". Hope to see yours tomorrow, Giuliano! I've never seen such a big one in life yet.

Edit: correction, gmoney78 was talking about a TSN-RTC hybrid; never mind my post then
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 25 Mar 2011, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Redtailrob

Post by Redtailrob »

Moved this stunning fish at the weekend into the Bigger Pond.
Looking like it had settled last night but had some blood streaky to the fins (tail) which is fairly normal after a move.
Will keep my eye on it & the other Inhabitants over the coming days.
Thanks for all the advice/posts on here.
R

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”