Breeding Geophagus.

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Breeding Geophagus.

Post by Shaun »

I have 5 "Araguaia Orange Head" Geophagus, adults, they're a fairly small species, the largest is around 16-18cm. They've been raised in a 500ltr community tank and now that they've started breeding I'd like to set them up so I can keep some fry. I'm going to transfer them to a 4x18x18, 240ltr tank. Will this be big enough? Should I just transfer a pair?
Thanks,
Shaun
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Re: Breeding Geophagus.

Post by wrasse »

Yes, just transfer the pair wanting to breed. With geos, not much will stop them breeding when they are about to. Set up the new tank same as the old and use water from the old tank, top up both with fresh. Pics plz.
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

I agree, I have bred the closly related (I think)Satanoperca leucostica in a tank exactly that size.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cool :d
Satanoperca leucostica grow larger then G. sp. "Orange Head" so the tank size should be good. I was mostly worried about the tank being big enough for breeding. I have some 3x18x18 tanks I can raise the fry in. Just have to work out what to do with the other members of the group, there's 2 pairs and a "spare" they all seem to use as a target fish...I tried putting the spare in a different tank, but he was pretty unhappy away from the others.
Thanks,
Shaun
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

And a not very good pic from when they were a bit younger :d
Shaun
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Look very similar to this:
IMG_1086.JPG
--
Mats
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes, same fish I think. A friend of mine has G. "Tapajos Orange Head" and they seem to get far more colour on the head than the "Araguaia Orange Head" I have.
That pic looks almost identical to the sub-dominant member of the group, the larger males are much more colourful, especially when breeding.
Shaun
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Good luck breeding this Geophagus species.
They are a very nice group. I especially like this smaller "red head" species which appears to be closely related to G. surinamensis.
FWIW, these make very good tank mates with wild adult Discus. When the first of the surinamensis types were imported in the late 60's and early 70's I kept 5 with 10 adult Royal Blue Discus, a Black Ghost and an 8 inch Arowana in a 125 gal tank and the Geophagus never bothered the Discus in the 3 years they were kept together and did a great job of keeping the sand clean.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Mine where bought as "Tapajos red head". However, as you say, they don't seem to be very red on the head. But mine are still young, I think.

--
Mats
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

If they're still young they might colour up a fair bit. Looking at the Araguaia and Tapajos Orange Head side by side there's quite a contrast, especially in full breeding colour. Mine look bright copper on the body with a pale orange head while my friend's Tapajos have a bright orange head, almost green on the body with dark stripes on the flanks. Both are stunningly beautiful :-BD
Larry, I've kept Geophagus and satanoperca with Discus before, never had any trouble. They seem to complement each other almost. Makes for a great display tank :d
Shaun

Return to “Tank Talk”