info on Caelatoglanis Zonatus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
littleneti
Location 2: Peterborough

info on Caelatoglanis Zonatus

Post by littleneti »

Hi

i am new to this website, I have 26 tanks, One big marine tank, 1 large true Altum tank, and we keep plecos, angelfish, corydora's, and discus

I have just purchased 7 Caelatoglanis Zonatus (the common name i was given is marble spade nose catfish)
I have looked on the web for information on keeping these guys, but to no avail, unless i am looking in the wrong place. i know they are asain catfish and i think grow to about 1.5-2inch, and they are from the river Ataran in myanmar

Does anyone on here keep these guys and can give me so information on their optimal water conditions, care,temp, feeding and breeding, and any other info you may have. In general we will research fish before purchasing, but these guys are well cool and i fell in love with them straight away.

Any information on keeping these guys will be greatly received
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Re: info on Caelatoglanis Zonatus

Post by The.Dark.One »

Hi

Well done for getting some. To my knowledge they had only been imported once previously to the UK (by Pier Aquatics in Wigan).

I know 2 people who have lept them successfully, one being a member of Planet Catfish (medaka). have a look at his website page for them:

http://www.asiancatfish.com/page8/page9 ... age10.html
littleneti

Post by littleneti »

many thanks for getting back to me, the info was really helpful, i only came accross them by chance i went to my lfs to pick up some coris i had on reserve, and they got pointed out to me and i fell in love with them, I did not realise they were so uncommon. i have now got them in their own tank with sand bottom and a few stones and bogwood in there, with a internal filter. i have lowered the temp to 24oc they were in hma water where we got them from but i will gradually change them over to 50% hma and 50% RO as we have our own ro unit so this will bring the ph to about 6.8.

we hatch our own brine shrimp for our discus and angel babies, i can feed them this as well as the frozen if they accept, we will be looking into cultering our own other food which they will feed on.

another challenging fish to look after, but it is a good learning curve.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Any chance of some pics? These are very seldom seen
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
littleneti

Post by littleneti »

sure no problems,but i don't know how to put up photo's on here, i will try and do it tomorrow as tank still little cloudy from adding the sand today so they can have the correct enviroment. i have 8 of them,

Hopefully this is not where i fall afoul and i have been given them the wrong latin name, but they do look like the photos on the link i was given earlier.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 237
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

...given them the wrong latin name
Also look at ?

Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
littleneti

Post by littleneti »

Here are a couple of photo's of my guys, thanks dave for the two links, looking between the two links,they really look like Caelatoglanis Zonatus, so pleased. appologies for poor photo's as tank still little cloudy from adding the sand, i will get some better ones of them later on and post them up.

The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Post by The.Dark.One »

Yes, these are C. zonatus.
minipol
My cats species list: 29 (i:14, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:22)
Spotted: 22
Location 2: Belgium

Post by minipol »

Nice looking catfish :-BD
littleneti

Post by littleneti »

Thanks, we have had a fast learning curb with these, but they all seem happy and are eating so this is good news, but once they are more settled i will try introducing them to different foods so they get a good varity of diet, but again this will depend on whether they take the food or not, but i certainly find them very interesting and learing about there behaviour. just gradually lowering the PH so they are within there parameters but i will be doing this very slowly through the twice weekly water changes we do.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 181
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

littleneti wrote:just gradually lowering the PH so they are within there parameters but i will be doing this very slowly through the twice weekly water changes we do.
A 50/50 mix of HMA and RO sounds ideal, but I would not stress about the exact pH value, as these are not a blackwater species.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Asian Catfishes”