Corydoras adolfoi habitat water measures?Ph 5,5 ok?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Corydoras adolfoi habitat water measures?Ph 5,5 ok?

Post by spiny »

My newest project is a habitat tank like upper Rio Negro; fine whitish sand,blackwater Ph5,5 dGh 1,Kh 1, treeroots,Oak leafs,no aquatic plants,Checkerboardcichlids(Dicrossus fil),Cardinalneon(Paracheirodon axelrodi), and I just love Corydoras with their cute and "wise" appearance: will CORYDORAS ADOLFOI thrive with these water values?
It is a blackwater species from upper Negro,but there are so many different tributaries with differing waterqualities and hard to find specific info. Anyone having experience with Corys in such acidic water? :?:
I know aquarists tend to keep their blackwater fishes in water with higher values than the original habitat,and because of this there are so much confusing info on the net...

Apreciate help! :) Hopefully I can get some adolfoi soon...
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's been my experience that blackwater fish do better in a lower-pH environment. I have seen many blackwater species being very susceptible to infections they would not normally encounter in their habitat as a result of being kept in an elevated pH environment.
A pH of 5.5 would not be considered low for a blackwater habitat (in fact, it would be on the high side), so if it was me, I would keep the environment at a lower, rather than higher, pH.
Antti
Location 1: Finland

Post by Antti »

I have a feeling TFH had a story about collecting adolfoi and other fishes in Unini. I remember seeing pictures of adolfoi in big white collecting boxes, but don't remember did the water look like tap water or tea...

I tried to find the story but couldn't. It's propably 10years old (or something like that..), but it might resolve this and give other additional information of the biotope. If the mainstream is blackwater, they propably do well in such water. Your tank idea sounds really nice.

Tell me too if you find the story!

Antti

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”