Granulosus juvi's????

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Doc_Piscis
Location 1: Southwest Virginia, USA
Interests: Pets (fish & dogs), Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Scuba Diving & NYC

Granulosus juvi's????

Post by Doc_Piscis »

Anyone know if there are any Granulosus (bred) juvi's out there? How much would they go for? How much would you pay?
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

They have been artificially crossed with other species, but the hybrids are easy to tell apart IIRC. You couldn't pay me to take one of those.

Don't think they have ever been bred normally.

Rusty
Doug
Location 1: Cape Town, South Africa

Post by Doug »

Hi. This is my first post here. I've kept various catfish through the years but it was SidGuppy (aka SG_Eurystomus here I see) on cichlid-forum that reminded me that catfish are more than vacuum cleaners. :wink: And the more I thought about it, the more I realised that I had always really liked catfish from my first Corydoras (agassizii I think) twenty years ago.

This time around I'm keeping Tanganyikans so I got myself a group of 5 Synodontis petricola caught at place in Zambia called Katete. I suspect that these might be the "real" petricola rather than the dwarf. The biggest of them was about 13cm and very dark. Two of the others were quite yellow between their spots. But I'm no expert on identification.

Next I got 6 wildcaught Synodontis petricola "dwarf".

But my pride and joy is a group of Synodontis granulosus that I got 3 weeks ago. I got six but lost one soon after I got them. It and another were not in the best shape and I underestimated their nocturnal aggression. It was probably harrassed by the others. The other sickly one is now on its own and doing OK. The other 4 are in a 2.5 meter 1200 liter tank with some temporary tankmates (9 Tropheus and 4 Calvus) and they appear to be doing well. They probably need more caves though as there is quite a lot of aggression!

What I'd like is some pointers to more info on granulosus. Particularly anything anybody can tell me about breeding attempts.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Checked the Cat-eLog?
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Doug wrote:What I'd like is some pointers to more info on granulosus. Particularly anything anybody can tell me about breeding attempts.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2003-01.htm
Doug

Post by Doug »

Checked the Cat-eLog?
I have already looked at those two sources. Thanks. :)

Has anybody got any other info?
Greggo
Location 1: Houston, TX USA

Post by Greggo »

If you look in the cat-elog section you'll see a photo of a small S. granulosus with spots. It is one of the F1 hybrids. When I bought it, it was 2". At the time of the photo it was 3". One year later, it was 6". That is about 10 times the growth rate of wild grannies. It never did develop the striking white fin edging and its body proportions were not quite right compared to an S. granulosus. There is no doubt it was a hybrid. I would not recommend purchasing anything sold as tank bred.
Doug

Post by Doug »

If you look in the cat-elog section you'll see a photo of a small S. granulosus with spots. It is one of the F1 hybrids.
Do you mean this photo, Greggo?
MultiPunk
Location 1: Hampshire, UK
Interests: rugby, motorbikes

Post by MultiPunk »

There's an importer in the UK quoting £200 for a granulosus, there are also 2 juveniles (about 6") at Maidenhead Aquatics Weybridge branch for £60 each. I won't vouch for their origin but those are damned expensive fish!
MultiPunk
Greggo
Location 1: Houston, TX USA

Post by Greggo »

Doug wrote:
Do you mean this photo, Greggo?
Yes, that is the photo. It's a poor quality photo, but its all I've got. I cannot provide an updated photo as I no longer have the fish.
Doc_Piscis
Location 1: Southwest Virginia, USA
Interests: Pets (fish & dogs), Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Scuba Diving & NYC

Post by Doc_Piscis »

thanks for all your input. I was thinking about trying to breed the granny, but I don't have 760 bucks to buy four wild ones right now.

Return to “African Catfishes”