newbie - what kind of sand should i buy?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jeepgirl
Location 1: san francisco, ca

newbie - what kind of sand should i buy?

Post by jeepgirl »

hi everyone,

i have two albinos and one panda cat in a 5 gallon eclipes tank. i want to switch to sand, what kind of sand should i buy or should i keep the gravel i have in the tank now? thanks in advance for your reply :)
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

well corys definitely love sand so adding it shouldn't be a problem as long as you remember a couple of things

1) make sure you get what is known as river sand, just any old sand will not do. river sand is polished/tumbled naturally and has rounded edges - you can also get it as play sand at the big box places. the important thing is that the sand has rounded edges - sharp ones will damage or even cut off their little barbels as they rummage about. It is really hard to get it completely clean but I've had no problems as long as the water rinses off clean.

2) make sure the sand is not going to be anywhere it can be sucked into the filter intake unless you like replacing impellers

3) make sure any substrate you are putting sand over has no detritus etc on/in it - this can cause buildups of noxious gas that can burst and kill the occupants. this happened on a larger scale resulting in human casualties in Cameroon some years ago btw

4) watch 'em go - they will sometimes bury half their face in the sand, and my otos seem to appreciate it too
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”