Help! My pygmies have spawned(I think)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
GinoInChicago
Location 1: Lyons, IL

Help! My pygmies have spawned(I think)

Post by GinoInChicago »

ok guys I hope you can help me here. I think my corydoras Pygmaeus have spawned but I am not sure. I did a water change yesterday and I just looked in the tank and see what looks like a couple blobs of something on the glass each "blob" is about half the size of a dime and looks like there are things in it...kind of a reddish/orange color to them. Does this sound familiar? Are these pygmy eggs? I also have 5 small pandas in this tank to so it might be them, thogh I have heard they prefer a spawning mop to glass. Any input would be appreciated.
-Gino Angelic Visions Aquatics
http://www.avaquatics.com
Proud Member of the Freshwater Tropical Aquaria Society and The Angelfish Society
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

try not to touch the egg(if there are any) I heard bad things have happened to eggs if you touch them.
I've tried to kill the pain,but only brought more(so much more) I lay dying, and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal I'm dying,praying,bleeding,and screaming...Am I too lost to be saved? Am I too lost? My God my Tourniquet return to Salvation, My God my Tourniquet return to me Salvation.
Viking Bear
Location 1: Chicago, Illinois
Interests: corydoras and loaches

Post by Viking Bear »

Panda eggs are a gold/clear color. They are similar in size C. aenus. They are not red or orange in color. Both panda tend to lay eggs single. You should be able to see the individual eggs. They tend to darking with age until they dark grey with visible eyes just before they hatch. Pandas take almost a week to hatch at a temperature in the mid seventies. Do you have any other fish in the tank?

Later,

Scott
GinoInChicago
Location 1: Lyons, IL

Post by GinoInChicago »

all that is in the tank are the 11 pygmies and 5 pandas.
-Gino Angelic Visions Aquatics
http://www.avaquatics.com
Proud Member of the Freshwater Tropical Aquaria Society and The Angelfish Society
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

looks like a couple blobs of something on the glass each "blob" is about half the size of a dime and looks like there are things in it...kind of a reddish/orange color to them. Does this sound familiar?
Sounds like snail eggs to me.

Are the "things" gateret in a clear gel like substance?
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

It also sounds like snail eggs to me, pygmaeus lay small 1mm diameter eggs and spred them all over the tank, so to panda but theirs are larger, about 1.3mm dia.

Cory eggs are handleable and if you touch the eggs in your tank I think you will find the patch you describe will feel like jelly.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”