My First Breeding Group (Advice Welcome)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

My First Breeding Group (Advice Welcome)

Post by Divemaster »

Just picked up my first breeding group of 5 (2F:3M) Corys (paleatus) and I'm going to start conditioning them for breeding in about a week. I have them in a 15 gallon (24"x12"x12") with a sponge filter for filtration and 1/4-1/3" of pool filter sand for substrate along with a rock, some pvc, and a small piece of driftwood for decorations. Water temp is 74 F and pH is 7.6 (I know pH is high but that's what it is out of my tap and as long as they breed in it I'm not changing it). Just fed them their first meal with me owning them about an hour ago, started with black worm flake and then did some frozen brine shrimp, they're still searching the sand for leftovers :). I'm excited to get into breeding these awesome fish and hope I get some good spawns out of the group, especially since the 3 males have the longfin gene. Any advice you guys have to give is welcome!!!
Nabobmob1
My articles: 1
My images: 38
My cats species list: 112 (i:39, k:0)
My BLogs: 40 (i:59, p:1622)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: North Chicagoland
Location 2: Northern IL
Interests: Catfish, Beer, Barbeque, Fishing and Music

Re: My First Breeding Group (Advice Welcome)

Post by Nabobmob1 »

Looks like everything you have done should work just fine. You picked a great starter cory, your PH should have little affect on them. when the females look gravid hit them with a cool water change, 4-8 degrees cooler than the tank. if that doesn't work collect some fresh rainwater and that should do it.
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

Any advice for feeding? Right now I, feeding three times daily (6:20 AM, 3:00 PM, and 8:00 PM) on a diet of mainly Blackworm Flake with the occasional frozen brine shrimp stuck in there. Is that to often feeding since I'm not trying to breed them yet, shod I cut back to twice daily? Also when I am conditioning how many times a day should I feed and what foods? I've heard lev black worms work well many times now but what else in addition to?
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

I cut feeding back to twice a day instead, to much waste feeding three times with trying to keep nitrates always under 20. I'm doing two 33% changes a week, is that to often or am I good?
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

With this species, and your present regimen, you're well on your way to successful spawns. It wouldn't surprise me if after 1 of your weekly water changes that they'll start spawning.
Ask not...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”