successful mating?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
fairgroundfish
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Rutland

successful mating?

Post by fairgroundfish »

So got myself a handsome boy couple weeks ago, a boyfriend finally for my girl I've had for about 2 years. He came with eggs, but unfortunately we lost them after hatching (I think my guppies had them) gutted to say the least! When I got him the book said the fact he had eggs showed he was ready to bread. Now how do I know if my girl is? They are quite happy together in fact I think she is quite taken with him as often follows him about.. Is there anyway of increasing the likely hood of them mating. I've made some caves, but think I need to buy one instead as he's just digging next to them rather than cleaning them out. I've also noticed since getting the boy, my girl is very light compared. I'm thinking a cross breed of albino or is it normal for females to be lighter (oh they bristlenose btw - that would probably help if I mentioned)

Any help would be great, if successful I will be removing eggs to a separate tank... Learnt my lesson there...
Attachments
WP_20150614_21_48_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20150608_10_06_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20150525_18_17_27_Pro.jpg
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: successful mating?

Post by Martin S »

I'm confused by your comment 'he came with eggs'?
But generally, bristlenose can breed quite readily without too much effort...but better to make it comfortable for them with caves etc. To help stimulate, maybe a few cool water changes?
HTH
Martin
Psy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: NJ, USA

Post by Psy »

Can guppies actually eat bristlenose fry? Water quality is generally the big downfall for any fry.
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

He was guarding eggs when I got him so the chap gave me them as well for free which was nice. They hatched, swam and hid under the rocks, then vanished the next day. Guppies will eat anything they can get in their greedy gobs, even their own fry.

I will try water changes, any advice on this? Amount/temp/frequency?? (my tanks 125ltr and currently 28*c/82*f)
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Still no success :YMSIGH:

Return to “Tank Talk”