How to get my pygmy cories to at least lay eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
aqua hero
Location 1: london
Location 2: UK

How to get my pygmy cories to at least lay eggs

Post by aqua hero »

Hi, so I have had my pygmies for a couple of months now, I would say I have around 9-10 left. Alot of people said online that they can easily lay eggs by just doing water changes.

Months have passed and I haven't seen them lay any eggs. I have done 50 % water changes weekly, bi weekly, monthly. Nothing.

Should I try adding blackwater extract to help stimulate breeding? People say it has helped

My Tank is planted well and has sand in it as well. The temperature is around 25c. I feed sinking pellets, daphnia, Brine shrimp, white mosquito larvae and bloodworms.

I would like to know trick to get them to lay eggs.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: How to get my pygmy cories to at least lay eggs

Post by catfishchaos »

Try not doing a water change for a month and then do 50-75% water change with rather cool water (like 21-22c) seems to be the magical formula as well as minimizing disturbances. most breeding articles on corys state that as sonn as the keeper gave up and stopped checking them regularly they spawned. If you click this it will take you a page of all listed keepers and most of what we know about that species, furthermore you can even check others breeding reports near the bottom.

this would also make a good read ;)

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=238
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
alcimedes
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Colorado
Location 2: Colorado Springs

Re: How to get my pygmy cories to at least lay eggs

Post by alcimedes »

I'm in the process of setting up a primarily invert tank, but wanted to have some fish in the tank to go with them. I picked up 24 pygmy corries the other day and added them to my 160G planted tank.

If I notice any breeding behavior I'll be sure to post back here on what route seemed to do the trick.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”