Anyone have trouble with plecos climbing into outlet of HMF?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Anyone have trouble with plecos climbing into outlet of HMF?

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I had always suspected it to be a possibility but tonight I confirmed it. I have been running an HMF in a 15 gal tank for raising various fry (BNP, L260, L333, L134, etc) mainly if I want to sell them. If I want to keep them I just leave them in the tank they were bred it so I don't mix.

Tonight I was catching some more L260 to put into the tank and I noticed that some of the bigger ones I caught were not in the tank so I thought I should investigate. I have a big Vecton UV on the side of the tank where the HMF so it's difficult to see behind the filter unless I move stuff around a bit. I shone a flashlight back there and lo and behold a whole host of 1 - 1.5" plecos. I am concerned that the O2 is low back there and or they would get burned by the heater. Do you guys put screens over the outlet? I have one of the jet tube style outlets. Or am I just being overly concerned and I should just pull the fish outta there and not worry about it?
Last edited by 2wheelsx2 on 15 Feb 2016, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Anyone have trouble with plecos climbing into intake of HMF?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a 20 Long used for pleco growout. I have had a variety of offspring in it of all sizes. I have an air powered Jetlifter. I have never had any size fry get behind the foam. I have the foam end be above the waterline at the top. Then I use a glass top. I have a few more HMFs on 33 longs. These use custom returns with homemade spraybars which are powered by variable speed pumps. The holes in the spraybars are very small not even a pleco egg can fit though them.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Re: Anyone have trouble with plecos climbing into outlet of HMF?

Post by Jobro »

Bristlenoses seem to love this. Other plecos won't do this on me. But the BNs and their offspring love it. Papa BN spend a few weeks in the outlet of my air-lift pump. He just swims in there making a lot of splashes and then stays right in the air/water stream. I spend 30 minutes searching for him behind and beneath the tank, in fear he might have jumped out of the tank, before I finally realized something was odd with the water outlet.

My only concern here would be the lack of food for juvenile plecos. But my babies usually find their way back to the other side of the foam by their own.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

I raise young BNPs and in the tanks where I've got homemade airlifters I use screen door mesh fastened with electric zip ties to prevent the young from going to the dark side. Being on the dark side doesn't hurt them, but I'm sure they're growth rates aren't optimal, and it is a hassle to catch them. Also, while they're on the dark side I don't want them to be in a situation where they may get confused as to their paternal lineage.
Ask not...
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Hmmm...sounds like I might need some mesh over the outlet....or go to sponge filters. My biggest hassle is taking apart the filter to catch them to sell. Defeats part of the purpose of the HMF which was to make catching easier.
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

The mesh doesn't effect the flow in any appreciable way.
Ask not...
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Yes, I can't imagine it will, but I was surprised no one mentions this as a possibility. My 15 gallon is lidded although with an old school plastic canopy and the foam goes right to the top.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”