Revision of Ageneiosus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Revision of Ageneiosus

Post by Silurus »

Ribeiro, FRV, LH Rapp Py-Daniel & SJ Walsh, 2017. Taxonomic revision of the South American catfish genus Ageneiosus (Siluriformes: Auchenipteridae) with the description of four new species. Journal of Fish Biology doi:10.1111/jfb.13246

Abstract

The catfish genus Ageneiosus in the exclusively Neotropical family Auchenipteridae is revised. Species of Ageneiosus are widely distributed in all major South American continental drainages except the São Francisco River basin and small rivers along the Brazilian east coast. The taxonomic revision was based on examination of available type specimens, additional museum material and comparisons of original descriptions. A suite of morphometric, meristic and qualitative characters of internal and external anatomy were used to diagnose valid species and determine synonyms. Thirteen valid species are recognized in the genus Ageneiosus, some of which are widely distributed across South America. Ageneiosus pardalis is the only trans-Andean species in the genus. Ageneiosus polystictus and Ageneiosus uranophthalmus are more widely distributed than previously reported. Ageneiosus marmoratus is a junior synonym of Ageneiosus inermis. Ageneiosus dentatus is a valid species and its name is removed from the synonymy of Ageneiosus ucayalensis. Four new species are described: Ageneiosus akamai, Ageneiosus apiaka, Ageneiosus intrusus and Ageneiosus lineatus, all from the Amazon River basin. A dichotomous key for all 13 valid species of Ageneiosus species is provided.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Revision of Ageneiosus

Post by Acanthicus »

This is something we have waited for too long! =)
Daniel
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Revision of Ageneiosus

Post by bekateen »

From this paper:

KEY TO THE IDENTIFICATION OF SPECIES OF AGENEIOSUS
  • 1a Caudal fin rounded, truncate, emarginate or slightly forked with rounded lobes (Ageneiosus vittatus only) ..... 2
    • 1b Caudal fin deeply forked with pointed lobes ..... 5
  • 2a Dark stripes extending along sides of body; one dark blotch on median portion of ventral lobe of caudal fin during all phases of ontogenetic development; dorsal and pectoral fin spines ossified, rigid and sharp ..... 3
    • 2b Sides of body without dark stripes extending entire distance from behind head to caudal peduncle; median portion of ventral lobe of caudal fin of individuals larger than 150 mm LS dark or hyaline, without distinct dark blotch; pectoral fin spine distally segmented, flexible ..... 4
  • 3a Caudal fin slightly forked with rounded lobes; blotch on inferior lobe of caudal fin rounded; dark stripes on side of body reaching caudal peduncle .....
    • 3b Caudal fin rounded or emarginate; blotch on inferior lobe of caudal fin elongated; dark stripes on side of body reaching or extending slightly beyond vertical through origin of anal-fin base .....
  • 4a Uniform colour on sides of body or with a short dark stripe below lateral line, not extending beyond midpoint of trunk in individuals larger than approximately 170 mm LS and usually with large dark blotches on sides of individuals smaller than about 150 mm LS; generally a dark band on distal margin of caudal-fin rays .....
    • 4b Small dark specks randomly distributed over entire side of body; distal margin of caudal-fin rays always hyaline .....
  • 5a Two or three dark stripes along sides of trunk: one dorsolateral, one on lateral line and the other, when present, below lateral line ..... 6
    • 5b Uniform colour on sides of body or with a dark stripe on dorsolateral region that may extend ventrally to lateral line ..... 7
  • 6a Pectoral-fin spine slender and long, 15·4–21·8% of LS short snout, 12·8 18·5% of LH; continuous dark stripes on lateral region of body ..... , new species
    • 6b Pectoral-fin spine robust and short, 10·4–14·4% of LS long snout, 50·7–58·4% of LH; dark stripes on sides of body fragmented .....
  • 7a Pectoral-fin spine becoming distally segmented in individuals larger than about 150 mm LS and very slender in smaller individuals [Fig. 1(c), (d)] ..... 8
    • 7b Pectoral-fin spine distally tapering, rigid, sharp [Fig. 1(a), (b)] ..... 9
  • 8a Eye laterally placed and dorsally directed, majority of pupil visible dorsally; snout in a V-shape, with anterior margin pointed; 11–16 gill rakers on first branchial arch .....
    • 8b Eye laterally placed, laterally directed or, more frequently, ventrally directed, majority of pupil visible ventrally; anterior margin of snout rounded; 18–25 gill rakers on first branchial arch .....
  • 9a A light stripe extending mid dorsally between posterior end of dorsal-fin base and origin of adipose fin; light bands along almost entire extension of dorsolateral stripe that extend dorsally to light mid-dorsal stripe and ventrally to end of dorsolateral stripe ....
    • 9b Dorsal region uniformly dark ..... 10
  • 10a Premaxilla projected anteriorly beyond dentary by a distance greater than horizontal diameter of eye ..... , new species
    • 10b Premaxilla projected anteriorly beyond dentary by a distance less than horizontal diameter of eye ..... 11
  • 11a Base of anal fin less than or equal to predorsal length; 31–37 anal-fin rays ..... , new species
    • 11b Base of anal fin greater than predorsal length; 40–49 anal-fin rays ..... 12
  • 12a Distal margin of caudal-fin rays generally dark; 16–24 (mode 21) gill rakers on first branchial arch .....
    • 12b Distal margin of caudal-fin rays hyaline; 13–16 (mode 14) gill rakers on first branchial arch ..... , new species
Attachments
Fig. 1. Ventral view of pectoral fin of (a) Ageneiosus intrusus, (b) Ageneiosus dentatus, and (c), (d) Ageneiosus ucayalensis, showing spines distally rigid, sharp (a), (b) and spines distally segmented (c), (d). Photograph by A. Canto.
Fig. 1. Ventral view of pectoral fin of (a) Ageneiosus intrusus, (b) Ageneiosus dentatus, and (c), (d) Ageneiosus ucayalensis, showing spines distally rigid, sharp (a), (b) and spines distally segmented (c), (d). Photograph by A. Canto.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”