New guy. Looking for advice on what type of cats to put in my 55 gal

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
EdWalker
Location 1: Arlington
Location 2: Virginia

New guy. Looking for advice on what type of cats to put in my 55 gal

Post by EdWalker »

Hi!! I live right outside of Washington DC and I look forward to chatting with you all.

I just purchased a 55 gallon tank and am currently cycling it. I plan to stock only catfish varieties in it.

I have two Salt and Pepper corys that I've had since January and I LOVE them! I plant to get a minimum of 4 more S&P's to add with them for this tank. From this point I'd like to get a Raphael catfish and at least two plecos of some variety. And that is where my question comes in... is it okay to put corys with raphael catfish? with plecos? What type of plecos should I get? Would a bumblebee be a good idea also?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Re: New guy. Looking for advice on what type of cats to put in my 55 gal

Post by fat meloe! »

Avoid common plecos (Pterygoplichthys pardalis), they become huge. R. Collins recommends common bristlenose, Ancistrus sp. https://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm ... cle_id=366
ThePsychotiCatfish
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia

Re: New guy. Looking for advice on what type of cats to put in my 55 gal

Post by ThePsychotiCatfish »

I agree with fat meloe!, regular plecos are best avoided. Raphael catfish are quite sedate most of the time but be careful with the size of the cories you put them with. They will eat anything near the size of their mouths but they are normally quite slow.

Return to “Speak Easy”