Peppered hi fin cory, temperature

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
pointpleco
I've donated: $4.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:52, k:49)
My aquaria list: 31 (i:28)
My BLogs: 29 (i:160, p:1739)
My Wishlist: 131
Spotted: 109
Location 1: adelaide, australia
Location 2: adelaide , australia

Peppered hi fin cory, temperature

Post by pointpleco »

Hi, i have 3 peppered cories.
I have them in a community tank and they sometimes just relax alot and don't do much. But when food is around they are alot more active.
I have seen on here that temps for them should be cooler at about 16-20 degrees.
My tank being community is of coarse more at 24-26. But has alot of filtration and aeration.
Is this going to be ok for them over a longer period or should they be moved into a cooler tank.

Thanks
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Peppered hi fin cory, temperature

Post by bekateen »

Hi,

They may tolerate the warmer temperatures alright, but that doesn't mean the temps are good for the fish. I'd recommend lowering the temp if you can.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

My highfin paleatus come from a lake near Treinta y Tres in Uruguay. The average temp, all year round, is there some 16 C. In winter a lot less, in summer obviously a lot higher

Mine have 5 C in winter, and in summer temps can reach 30 C and more, during the day.

The problem with highfin paleatus is, they can be originated form a natural source, and than they are rather southern. BUT they can also result from a high fin variety in the common paleatus strain. These require more or less normal aquarium temps, and do nicely at 18 - 22 C.

It´s not easy distinguishing between them from looks alone.
cats have whiskers
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

bekateen wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 06:23 Hi,

They may tolerate the warmer temperatures alright, but that doesn't mean the temps are good for the fish. I'd recommend lowering the temp if you can.

Cheers, Eric
Hi Eric

My are the Hi fin version which say even cooler than the short fin type. Thats bad of me for not researching more before buying them. They seem ok but like you say over a longer period maybe not. My tank is normally 25 degrees. And all my tanks are about that because keeping fish that need at least 22 i would say. (lots of bristlenose/peppermint/L-134 in my tanks)

The tank they are in now has a Discus, Angels, Clown Loach, Black Knife Ghostfish, Bronze cories, Glass catfish and Common Bristlenose. Being a discus in there i can't really drop the temps much.

So that makes it hard, only other solution is to put in my quarantine once it's empty. So i will just have to watch them for now.

Thanks for the help.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

Bas Pels wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 09:10 My highfin paleatus come from a lake near Treinta y Tres in Uruguay. The average temp, all year round, is there some 16 C. In winter a lot less, in summer obviously a lot higher

Mine have 5 C in winter, and in summer temps can reach 30 C and more, during the day.

The problem with highfin paleatus is, they can be originated form a natural source, and than they are rather southern. BUT they can also result from a high fin variety in the common paleatus strain. These require more or less normal aquarium temps, and do nicely at 18 - 22 C.

It´s not easy distinguishing between them from looks alone.
Hi Bas Pels, thanks for reply.

I'm in australia so i think these would be captive bred. Wow that's a low temp that they originate from. And 5 - 30 C is such a shift, but being cories they are very hardy. My bronze cories are also so tough.

So if they handle 18 - 22 C, then being 25 C in my tank isn't too bad maybe. I will just have to keep an eye on them. By watching i see 2 are more active then the other and i notice when they rest they actually do under the heater, the warmest part of the tank. A little strange, haha.

Macrae

Return to “Speak Easy”