Ammonia problems

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

Ammonia problems

Post by BIGblue »

Hello,

I'm having ammonia problems in my 29 gallon tank. The ammonia is at 5 PPM. None of my fish have died yet, but the ammonia is way too high. I stopped feeding my fish goldfish. All they eat are rosy reds, tetra min tablets, and bloodworms. I have done three water changes ( 50%), got some ammonia chips, and added some ammo-lock. I remember reading somewhere else in this forum that ammo lock can give you false ammonia readings,but it says its good for detoxifing the ammonia. Should I stop using the ammo-lock? Is there anything else I can do to try and get rid of the ammonia?

Thank You

BTW: I think it would be a good idea to add an aquarium help section to this forum. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I just posted here.

Angel
Image Angel
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

What fish do you have in the tank? The Ammo-lock will "lock up" the ammonia, giving you bogus test results. I'm not really sure how to get around this.

I think the sick fish/tank forum will be appearing soon (no promises though). For now, I think this will be better in Tank Talk.

Rusty
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

Post by BIGblue »

I have 2 Managuense, a jack dempsey, 2 synodontis, and one fat albino clawed frog.
Image Angel
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Post by SirHelm »

Well I just went thru the same thing with my 100 gallon. Of course my Ammonia test was thrown off by the huge amount of water conditioning I have to do. One thing you can try is bio-spira from MarineLand. It actually contains the proper dormant bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and contains the bateria to convert nitrite to nitrate.... From what I have seen and read it works well. However it is pricey. For a 3 ounce packet (good for 90 gallons) it cost me 24.99 US.

Anyways give it a shot. It cannot hurt!

SH

Return to “Tank Talk”