Overstocked??

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Overstocked??

Post by SirHelm »

Okay... here is the scoop...

100 gallon tenecor simplicity plus (so actual gallons probably closer to 70-75 due to the built in wet dry and assorted rocks/sand/wood)).

Currently have:

7 Large zebra Danios (range from 2 - 4")
1 small asian red tail (3.5")
2 Medium Pim Bocchis (4")
1 Med common pleco (4")
1 tiny (1") hoplo
6 1.5" 3 line cory's (aka network/reticulated cats)

I am planning on selling the Danios and the Asian Red tail cat and getting 6 more Hoplos (currently 1") and 2 king faraowellas (currently 5")

Looking at this and all of the cats potential sizes, and no further changes to be made..... is this okay? or is this tank overstocked?

Thanks
SH
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

overstocked

Post by oneoddfish »

that sound good to me you might even thow in 6 more cory's I find wet/dry systems are great for water quality. at least I've had great result's using them.. :D
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Cool! Thanks for the feed back.

I will probably get 3 skunks and 3 adolfos? later on. I am really starting to get into cories. No wonder they are so popular. They are very very cool.

I may also get 2 large pearl gouramis to have something swimming in the mid-upper tank.

BTW filtration consists of the wet/dry plus i just got a fluval 2 plus with a spray bar. It gives a nice gentle current, plus areates the tank, and.... some water polishing. I am currently going thru a nitrate spike right now and am changing 30% water each day for the past 3 days.

Sigh... never ends!!

Thanks again

SH
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

FWIW, pearl gouramies are only comfortable in very acidic (pH 4.0-5.0) tannin-stained water (blackwater), which is their natural habitat
Although most blackwater fishes can live outside if these conditions, I find that they tend to become more susceptible to diseases.
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Touche! Thanks Silurus. Any suggestions for a nice lazy type mid tank swimmer that would go well in the tank??

PH 7.5 (for some reason can never get it lower)

KH 8

GH 11

Ammonia 0

Nitrite (Usually 0, but around 1ppm right now.....)

My wife for some reason just doesn't see the immense cutness in the cats :roll:

Thanks

SH
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

SirHelm wrote:My wife for some reason just doesn't see the immense cutness in the cats :roll:
Join the club... :lol:

If you can find them, and are trying to stick to a SA biotope, there are some nice tetras out there. If you're not, some barbs or large rasboras would be cool, but they need pretty soft water. Have you tried adding peat to your filter?

Rusty
Last edited by Rusty on 07 Feb 2003, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

mmmmm.....

No I have not..... I guess the peat would make the water a bit more acidic and drop the ph down...

Well I do have 5 chambers in the wet/dry so I could easily add it.

Now where would I find peat??

re: the mid water fish you mentioned, I will have to look up the rasporas.... I am sort of looking of a larger sized lazy type fish....... (maybe something from the cichlid family)?

Thanks

SH
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Some rasboras actually get quite big. Barbs are pretty big too. Apistograma sp. (cichlids) look really nice (your wife would approve). Geophagus are also interesting, but are best kept in a group.

Re: the peat. I know Hagen sells prepackaged boxes, but I'm sure any good LFS would have it. You could also try blackwater extract if you can't find peat. It typically comes in a bottle, and has the same effect as peat, including the staining of the water.

Rusty
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

The rule I live by is to not have more then 0,5-1 cm of fish for every liter of water at a turnover of 2-4. That of course never happens, but as an absolute maximum for a community tank.

In breedingtanks I stick to max. 1 cm for every 4 liters.
I love L-numbers
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

SirHelm,

If you use peat, you can actually change the water conditions enough that it may be suitable for the pearl gouramies. Barbs and rasboras aren't really lazy type fish. Many cyprinids are actually rather skitterish, nervous fish that need plenty of swimming room.
If rasboras are still your thing and if you do use peat, see if you can get a school of clown rasboras (<i>R. kalochroma</i>). Beautiful fish (that will not grow too big), especially if you keep them in soft, acidic water.
Otherwise, most rasboras don't really get that big (only one or two species frequently encountered in the aquarium trade get big).
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

In a german desease book by Untergasser is a very interesting by thumb rule for stocking tanks:

fishsize = water per cm fish
under 2 cm = 1 litre per cm
2-5 cm = 1.5 litres
6-9 cm = 2 litres
10-13 cm = 3 litres
14 and over = 4 litres
(and i guess over 30 cm this just goes up...)
by this rule a 40 cm redtail would need 160 litres by himself (at least)
cheers
Christian
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Some cichlids would be gephagus like already mentioned they are nice fish some are really colorful and they seem to be pretty smart,you could try some rams(2-3 inches),Maybe some bala sharks,Red tail shark,paradise fish,dwarf guaramis,Tiger barbs,Rainbows,Giant danios,There is tons of possibilities but these are the fish iv kept that iv had success with and that seem to fit your requirements. My opinion would dont be set on any one fish and just go into the lfs and see what you like and do some research. You have a big tank theres no reason you couldnt get a few kinds of fish. Good luck.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback and input! I will let you know how it goes!!

(Already have the aquarium fish book pages marked.... now just to convince the wife....mmmmmmmmm :wink: :wink: )

Thanks again!

SH
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Oh the interesting possibilities of that tank! I'd definitely look into a school of debauwi cats, they swim midwater, weaving back and forth amongst their group as they move down the tank. VERY interesting, and just neat fish in general. I'd probably add 6 praecox rainbows for color and movement midwater, and depending on if you like them or not, a pair of angels. For behavior, angels really can't be beat. They stay small enough to not be impossible to house, yet they'll come eat out of your hands and act fearless. Bolivian rams are another choice for water with a slightly alkaline level. They come from water that is acidic, but can easily tolerate a pH of 7.6, IME. You could add a few long finned rosy barbs for contrast and movement, and have quite a bit of color midwater, and all of your bottom dwellers for interest that way.

Hope that gives you more ideas without making it overwhelming :) I also keep on a regimented weekly water change schedule, so if you don't intend to do them that often, you'll want to choose one or two more types, not the 3 or 4 I suggested. :)

Barbie
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Thanks Barbie..

More things to research!!!!!

SH

Return to “Tank Talk”