is anodontiglanis dahli a real catfish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

is anodontiglanis dahli a real catfish?

Post by Andy »

Hi,

I've been spending some time searching the web for rainbowfish when I came across a picture of a fish called anodontiglanis dahli and I was wondering if it's a catfish that's found on the market? It would be nice to know if it's possible to create a biotope tank with australian fish and have native catfish in it.

thanks all,

Andyundefined
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Yes, it is a plotosid endemic to Australia. More information is available here. It gets kind of big and has a taste for live fish, so I'd be concerned about one snacking on anything it can fit in its mouth.

Rusty
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

So it would probably chow down on any and all rainbowfish then? I guess that I won't be trying that setup then.

thanks for the answer,

Andy
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Andy wrote:So it would probably chow down on any and all rainbowfish then? I guess that I won't be trying that setup then.
There are smaller species of Eeltail or Tandan Catfish occasionally available that do make suitable tankmates for most Rainbowfish, look at maybe Neosilurus sp. under the listings.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Anodontoglanis are not available at all in the aquarium trade, I believe.
general-sherman
Location 1: australia/victoria
Interests: southamerican fish

Hehe

Post by general-sherman »

You can find them in shops occasionally if you live in Australia :P
Sell under the name of "Toothless catfish".
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...
CoolTcat
Location 1: Mid North Coast NSW Australia

Anodontiglanis dahli

Post by CoolTcat »

I'm from Aust so I looked it up in my trusty Field Guide which shows it to be from coastal northernmost Australia, not particularly abundant and rather cute.
The Remarks section says that it is typically solitary and feeds by thrusting its head into the sandy bottom for insect larvae,detritus, molluscs and prawns. I have kept small Tandanus tandanus, (which get larger than the Toothless and are known to eat small fish in the wild),with rainbows. They are certainly not aggressive and plant thickets should let you keep both together until the Tandan got to a fair size.
How cold are you, a Tandanus could go into a pond then perhaps? Here where they are native we go to -10 air temp at nights

Return to “Other Catfishes”