Large Mochokids/Synos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

SG_Eurystomus wrote:Their big brothers however, are much easier to keep and fun to watch; they're like animated vacuumcleaners: Euchilichthys sp.
Watch out though, they get BIG. You'd need well in excess of 200 gallons to keep an adult. It's hard to appreciate just how big they get until you read up about them.
Pete
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Some DO get very big. Rusty took a picture (see the Catalog) of one that had just arrived at the AMNH, and it was a meter long. However, my impression is that some Euchilichthys species reach an adult size that should be manageable in a moderately sized aquarium.

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

About 40 cm or so max. Manageable enough, methinks.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

A quick check of the six species listed in FB (a suspect source re. fish sizes, as we all know), showed all of them to reach an adult size under 30 cm. This is obviously untrue, as noted above (cf. the 1 m long specimen), but I have no other info to go on.

A cursory check of museum collections could give us a better baseline. :)

Dinyar
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

A meter??
wow!
just checked the Cat-e-log, and it's a freaky thing...
That must mean, it's THE biggest Mochokid catfish! I always assumed some Syno would take that title; tanganicae or so.
The one we've had, was a dark 6" fish, but that's so long ago (15 years at least), I can't remember if it was bought in a German LFS or an import from Tropifish.
It thrived however; in a big tank, with several other cats, including Synodontus pleurops, Sorubim lima, Chaetostoma sp, Elephantfishes, Silverdollars etc.
It ate bloodworms, krill, flakefood etc. It was a nocturnal fish, that made quick swipes to get his food from under it's favourite hiding place. Very full of character, though. No other fish were tolerated in that hiding place, and it was well-capable of kicking out any unwanted guests.
It looked a lot like Euchilichthys guentheri; exept more even gray (no spots) and a black and white mark on the caudal peduncle; almost like an Elephant fish!

We didn't have it long (few months); because we had access to wildcaught fish often; we imported several very bad bacterial strains as well (we didn't use quarantaine back then...). So to make a long story short; within a few weeks all three of us had SOME virulent killer in our tanks (because we often exchanged fish).
In that tank about 60% of all fishes died within a week; my tank was depleted as much, my nephew (or cousin: what's the difference??)'s tank was about halfway emptied by that bug. We lost him- the Euchilichthys, not my cousin/nephew :P -, and most other rare cats then. (most Loricarids,several syno's, all callichthydae including adult callichthys, my Opsodoras etc etc)
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Yes, that is one freaky thing! Bob Schelly, the collector, said that this was the smallest specimen they could find in the market, where they were being sold as food fish. Some specimens were over a meter!

Rusty
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

AFAIK, the largest <i>Synodontis</i> is <i>S. xiphias</i> (kind of like a cross between a syno and a swordfish) at 80 cm TL.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Silurus wrote:AFAIK, the largest <i>Synodontis</i> is <i>S. xiphias</i> (kind of like a cross between a syno and a swordfish) at 80 cm TL.
Anyone got any pics of this beast?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I have the drawing from Boulenger. AFAIK, this is the only known illustration of this species.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Silurus wrote:I have the drawing from Boulenger. AFAIK, this is the only known illustration of this species.
Oh, OK. I have the Boulenger volumes. I'll take a look when I'm in work in a few hours.
Pete
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Siluris help?

Post by Sid Guppy »

This is very confusing!
How can a 80 cm Syno be the biggest Mochokid, if there's a meter long Euchilichthys??
Is it because that Euchilichthys isn't named yet, or did someone split up the Mochokids when I wasn't looking?

btw If one of you has a pic of the Sword-Syno, and you can perhaps scan the thing, please mail me!
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Well, I said it was the biggest Syno, not the biggest mochokid (if you read my post again).
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

OK, I want to see S. xiphias in a nice display somewhere! I'll try and scan the page to send to anyone who is interested.
However, the size given for this species is only 58cm, whereas S. guttatus is menioned at 60cm. Do we have any advance on 60cm for a Synodontis?
Pete
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

That's because the holotype of one of the nominal species (<i>S. labeo</i>) considered a synonym of <i>S. xiphias</i> is 80 cm long.
Anyway, here's the pic:
The only other <i>Synodontis</i> to exceed 60 cm besides these two species (<i>S. guttatus</i> and <i>S. xiphias</i>) is <i>S. longirostris</i> (66 cm).
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Silurus wrote:That's because the holotype of one of the nominal species (<i>S. labeo</i>) considered a synonym of <i>S. xiphias</i> is 80 cm long.
Ah. I'll take a closer look at Boulenger tomorrow. I noticed the description of S. labeo in there, I didn't have time to make any comparison.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

A lfs had a S Acanthamias in 2yrs back which had come out of a trop pond. Said fish was 29 inch in length approx 80cm and was a real beauty which was unusual as Syno cats tend to lose their colour as they mature.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Anyone take any pics of this beast?!
Where did it end up?
I can count the number of private aquarists I know with the facilities to really handle a fish like that on the fingers of my left kneecap.
Pete
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

I do not know what happened to him but I beleive he was up for £200, a real bargain .

Return to “African Catfishes”