Freeze Dried Tubifex

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Freeze Dried Tubifex

Post by Shane »

Hello all,
I just wanted to mention a food that has sort of disappeared. Here in Colombia I can not get live or frozen foods. Actually, I can get live tubifex but I have heard so many stories that they carry disease that I am afraid to try them. I was think about buying live tubifex and freezing them (anyone tried this?) as I need a good high protein food. Anyway, today I came across a tin of freeze dried tubifex from some Chinese company (Otto). Many of you might remember that freeze dried tubifex were touted as the new miracle fish food many years ago. TFH actually had an entire article devoted to this new "revolutionary" food.
I used to feed this stuff years ago, but eventually stopped for some reason. I had forgotten that one of the big marketing strategies was that you just stick the little cube of worms to the aquarium glass. What I found out today is that you can also stick the cube to rocks and driftwood. I think that this could be a great food for fussy eaters like Chaetostoma and the Chiloglanis. I stuck some to the rocks in my 55 gallon when I started this and just went back and chacked and the L 200 have eaten it all.
What is old is new again.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Shane,

I think the quality of the freeze dried tubifex is important. I had a tin of freeze dried tubifex that even my <i>Clarias</i> wouldn't touch (and they would eat just about anything else).
I plain gave up and threw the tin away, since no fish would touch it, and I highly doubted its nutritive value.

Heok Hee
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

I always had a tub of tubifex about as you say "Years ago" but I went off the idea as I thought there was little or no goodness in them.
Do you think they are worth using Shane?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!!

Well here it is highly recommand not to used Tubifex because they are suppose to occur in water that are highly polluated. Still youo can use them but you have to clean them and make sure they don't have any waste left. I think you do this under running water, I have to check with some friends.

It is also true that you could ( and still do) find some brands that were selling dry Tubifex cube, if you use a reliable brand, I should say that these should be ok. The only problem with these is that the cube float and there is not much to do to make it sink, you can sure squeeze it some where deeper, but he might end up floating after being eaten a bit by the fish.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I don't think my fish ever found FD tubifex all that tasty :P . Guppies and hatchetfish oddly were the only things that would eat it and it took an AGE to sink (if it ever did) - not much use in our tanks.

Didn't know about the stick it to the glass/rocks trick mind you. Will probably pick up a pack next time I'm buying food and give it a go.

Jools

I had to reply to this post so I could use the new tasty emoticon. :roll:
caril
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

clean ur live tubifex worms before feeding ur fish as they produce a lot of waste and it can get very smelly. i fed my plecos with hikari frozen bloodworms and they seem to like it.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I think this product fell by the wayside for the reasons that many of you pointed out. However, I am pretty happy to find them as I have no other options. I can get freeze dried bloodworms, but they never sink and are sucked up by the filters. Heok Hee is probably correct that quality plays a factor.
As to my other question, has anyone tried buying live tubifex and freezing them? How much "safer" would they be if I did this?
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I've frozen tubifex when I bought too much to keep alive for long. The fish would eat them as enthusiastically as they would live tubifex. I'm not that sure freezing is an effective method for killing disease-carrying microorganisms, though. Bacterial cysts are known to withstand freezing.

Heok Hee
caril
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

i don't think its a good idea as it is not as simple as buying live tubifex worms and freezing them. proper procedures have to be carry out to make sure the worms are frozen and safe from bacteria. i will not put my fishes at risk.
manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

Post by manman01 »

i have a container of this that i was going to use as a vacation food for my two bettas that i had in fish bowls. then i got a ten gallon with a pleco and a pictus. (some other fish too but not catfishes) i tried using it because i was concerned that my bottom feeders were not getting enough food. the first cube i put overnight under a stone and the next morning it was GONE. there was nothing left. i think it is a good investment for fish that won't eat off the surface :foggie:
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I would'nt use them. They are sewer worms and it must say something about what they can do to your Cat's. :beardy:
manman01
Location 1: mi
Interests: fish

Post by manman01 »

graeme, not to offend you or anything but i make sure these worms come from a good company that doesn't grow there worms in sewage :x . i would like to repeat this is not to offend you.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Haven't used FD tubifex in ages, but I know that all my fish go NUTS about FD bloodworms. I buy the stuff in 0.25 lb foil bags.

Dinyar
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

manman01 wrote:... but i make sure these worms come from a good company that doesn't grow there worms in sewage :x .
No matter how reputable the source, bad food can still get you. We once had over 50 C. adolfoi fry wiped out by a single batch of bad, brand name, frozen baby brineshrimp. :(

Rusty

Return to “Tank Talk”