electric catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.

should electric catfish be kept alone in a tank?

Poll ended at 07 Mar 2003, 15:43

yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes: 7

sullyuk12

electric catfish

Post by sullyuk12 »

anybody out there have or know much about electric catfishes, i have one and he lives fine with my oscars, cichlids and other catfish but everywhere says that they cant be kept with anything. Mine is fine with everything and even eats out of my hand. i know all about thier electric shock potential but surely they are not as bad as most sites say.

Any info would be greatly apreciated.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The general consensus is that electic cats are fine if they are small and are living with larger fishes. Once they get large enough to be able to give a substantial shock, they are generally best kept alone. People have reported mixed results mixing large electric cats with other large fishes (never small ones...they'll just end up as a snack).
YMMV, I guess.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Until tamed, I think they are for the species tank. We've kept various fish with it, including a larger Heteropneustis fossilis, which it managed to paralyze in less than a week. Once it does become docile, I thik it can probably be kept w/o problems with other fish. Did you introduce the electric cat after or before the other guys? How old was it when it was introduced?

Rusty
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

IMO, any e-cat over 15 cm should be kept alone.

Dinyar
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

elecrtic cat

Post by oneoddfish »

I've kept 4 different electric cat's. Only one was a problem (mean)from the start.after they reached about foot.they would start messing (shocking)other fish. usually at night and this was in a 240gal. tank so it wasn't like it was crowded. But then I've had a buddy keep his ele.cat in pretty much the same enviorment with out his other fish being picked on.so I think it's a hard fish to predict behavior wise!
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown

Return to “African Catfishes”