Book of catfish

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
M!
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Tanganyika Cichlids / Catfish

Book of catfish

Post by M! »

Hey.

I want to bye a book about catfish, byt there are to many and I dont know anything about catfish, so I would like to get the biggest and best no mader the prise.

Can anybody give me a hint to the best book of catfish?
Best Regards
Mark
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:8)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Post by Deb »

It would be hard to name the "best" book, but a very excellent book you might like is Catfish in the Aquarium by Dr. Carl Ferraris, Jr.

If you want to read some critical reviews of books about catfish, go to the link called Books, in the tool bar above.

Deborah :D
Tuti
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: The Netherlands

Post by Tuti »

I don't know how well you can read german language, but I can recommend 'Mergus wels atlas 1' & 'Mergus wels atlas 2'. Both parts describe a lot of species of the Loricaridae-family. Part 2 is totally L-number-minded.
Catfishes
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

As with everything, it's a case of defining "what's best"... In some respects, my 132000 miles-on-the-clock Ford Transit van is better than a brand spanking new Ferrari - but I know which one I'd rather take around the Silverstone race-circuit... [Actually, I think I'd much rather have Valentino Rossi's Yamaha for that excercise, but that's a different story].

So, if you want to have just an overview, there are some less-expensive books to buy - I'm not a great fan of that particular one, but my first book was this. The biggest advantage is that it's not very expensive (around 8 pounds in England, I guess roughly 12 euros/120 dkk). It's covering the most popular types of catfish, even if there's pretty scarce details on it. An alternative to this one would be This.

I also have several other catfish books - most of them are pretty specialized on one family or group or another. All L-numbers is good if you want to drool over the pretty fish that you can't get (or haven't got enough tank-space to keep all of)... I've also got a couple of books on Corydoras [Ian (Coryman)'s Identifying Corodoradinae and "Colored Atlas of Miniature Catfish").

I wouldn't recommend this unless you find it like me for "cheap". It's got plenty of pictures, but since it's about 15 years old it's often not upto-date, and there's only some overview of care information for entire groups of fish, rather than individual species details. The pictures are very good tho'.

Kathy Jinkings Bristlenose book is another one in my collection, whcih is good, if nothing else simply because it's dedicated to one of my favourite fish...

--
Mats
M!

Post by M! »

Hey all.

Thanks a lot for the replys. I have looked arund today and i think i have found what i want. It is difficult to get a clear overwiew on theese catfish books but i am going for it.

The reason for bying this book is that i´ve got som 2, 30cm Gibbiceps, and one of them has an spike on the backfinn. Mayby it is a default, mayby it is a male. I dont know yet, hopefully i will find out soon. The are pretty social and are swimming together around the tank (720 liters)

Well, thanks for now, good answers.
Best Regards
Mark
M!

Post by M! »

By the way here it is:

Baensch Catfish Atlas, Volume 1 (Hardcover)
by Hans-Georg Evers (Author), Ingo Seidel (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/388244 ... 02?ie=UTF8
Best Regards
Mark
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Mark,
I agree it is a hard question as there are many definitions of "best." That said, I have to admit that there is only one general catfish book that I take off the bookshelves so often that it is next to my computer more than put where it belongs. That is Burgess' Atlas of Catfishes
http://www.planetcatfish.com/books/book ... icle_id=23

I honestly can not name another general catfish book that I use with half as much frequency.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
M!

Post by M! »

Hey Shane.

I have just read the review on the link you send. I think you got me convinced, I going for "the catfish Bible" :wink:

By the way, South africa, Mossel Bay is a nice place. Generally I think it´s a geat country. Just a after thougth 8)
Best Regards
Mark
Ryan S
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Herefordshire,
Location 2: UK

Post by Ryan S »

:lol: That's the one I'm selling!
300L S. American Community
57L Cory breeding project
and a 60L Hex tank for my Otto's